Curbless Shower Question

Users who are viewing this thread

GatorKenD

Reaction score
Hi all - I've started a bathroom remodel. Demo is done. I've taken out a sunken jacuzzi tub and I want to replace it with a curbless shower. I'm off to a good (lucky?) start: the drain for the tub was already 2" and the recess in the poured concrete slab for the old tub was generously sized; maybe 80% of the recess I'd need for shower. Attached is a photo of the tub area and a drawing of what I'd like to do. I started a thread at JohnBridge.com to pick some brains on tiling, but a question has come up on plumbing that I'd see if this group could help me with.

I went into this assuming I had to have a 2" total drop from bathroom floor to top of the shower drain. I can do that easily if I slope my shower pan in the direction that I've done my drawing in (marked "slope A"). However, I can get a much nicer looking tile job if could slope this toward the 84" wall (marked "slope B"). But, I can't get 2" of drop w/o sloping a little more than 1/2" per foot. Too much, I think.

The plumbing question that was posed to me was, "are you sure your local codes require the 2" total drop?" The suggestion was to call my local building code official to find out. I thought I'd start here... 1) even if local code allows it, there might be folks here who think it's prudent to have a 2" drop no matter what. 2) If there's some here with knowledge of Florida (or better yet, Gainesville, FL) code, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ken
demo.JPG
master bath layout.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks