Cultured Marble or Tile for Tub Surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

JordanJan

Reaction score
We are shortly going to be remodeling our bathroom and are considering the use of a cultured marble tub surround instead of tile in order to eliminate the problems that arise from time to time with tile grouting. Has anyone used cultured marble and how does it hold up and clean up compared to tile?
A timely response would be much appreciated!

EDIT:
One more question: This is a bathroom on a second story and we are considering whether a pressed steel tub would suffice or whether we need a cast-iron one. Cast-iron is extremely heavy to move up the stairs and also more costly, but we will do it if necessary. What do you think?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I looked at three bathrooms I did in cultured marble ten years ago, and they looked pretty good.

It's a very nice product to use.

http://www.veronashowers.com/master-bath-pictures

dm_seafoam.jpg

Designers Marble in Woodinville WA
dm_breccia_par.jpg

dm_vanity_breccia_par.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
cast iron is still probably the best - feels really solid, and truely hard finish. From what I've read, the steel tubs are easy to chip, and just don't feel good. If you reinforce the bottom of any tub (well, cast iron doesn't need it) with a drypack mortar mix or plaster, it will feel much stronger and closer to cast iron (and may last longer depending on the type you choose). My unprofessional opinion.

JordanJan

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Terry and Jim -

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question, much obliged.

JordanJan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

There are thousands of cultured marble surrounds used every year with good results. The only thing good about using a steel tub upstairs is that after you take the box upstairs and open it, it is easier to take back down to return it because it is damaged. And many steel tubs are discovered to be damaged when they are unboxed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I personally like tile better. Either can work well. If the walls are constructed properly and tiled well, it should last a very long time without problems. While epoxy grout can be a pain to install on walls (some brands are much easier than others), using it would almost eliminate the grout cracking that can occur, and it does not mildew, either (good ventilation makes a big difference). The tile in my parents bathroom is 50-years old and does not have cracks, nor has it had any. So, as I said, if it is installed properly, it is not a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks