Cultured Marble onto Redgard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing cultured marble walls in a shower remodel. Two questions:

1) What do people use to mount CM? 100% silicone? PL 700?
2) I'd like to mount the CM onto a Redgard-sealed plywood. Any thoughts on this idea? I understand Terry is a proponent of mounting CM directly onto Greenboard. That said, would either PL or silicone bond adequately to a Redgard surface?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that scenario isn't described in the Redgard installation instructions, I think you'd be better off checking with Custom Building Products for your answer. I know thinset will stick to Redgard, but the mechanism is different than with an adhesive - the cement grows interlocking crystals into the flexible material as it cures, an adhesive won't.

Justadrip

Reaction score
Hi Footman...go to www.johnbridge.com
Its a site dedicated to all things tile and stone. Great advice from real tile pro's.
FWIW- What you are wanting to do is completely wrong. You will find out at John Bridge. Good luck.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I have not used it personally, so I have no recommendations either way. Look at it this way, though, if you bond the seams properly, you have a solid panel, similar to any other solid surface like Corian, or Silestone...those are waterproof in their own right, so it shouldn't really matter what's behind it. What are you using to seam the panels together? If it is their proprietary material, it should make the sheets into what effectively is one solid sheet.

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Of course. My assumption was there would be silicone in the seams. But, as you say, they could just as well bond the seams using the very same polymer as the material itself. Thanks.

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
What does the CM manufacturer say about their products' install? This is your home? :)

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
I purchase, update, and maintain small income properties that are in disrepair. So it is my property, not my home. Definitely interested in doing this job right.

Last time I used CM I had the fabricator do the install. He used PL as adhesive. He did a terrible job on the installation (wrecked my tiles, ceiling, cut mixer valve hole in wrong place of the CM....) So I am less inclined to trust his process. That said I'm told that PL is a valid adhesive as is 100% silicone for installing CM. I've also heard that PL becomes visible through the CM, especially if you go with a white CM. (Can't see it on the most recent install mind you)

Anyhow, you're right in suggesting that I need to nail down exactly what adhesive is best for fastening CM. I'm leaning towards silicone. I'm also leaning away from Redgard. Seems like it's only meant to accept mortar.

Other option I'm considering is 1) 1/4" ply, 2) Redgard coat, then 3) HardiBoard backer. Risk here is that any cracks in the CM seams will allow moisture into the Hardiboard. Still, given the nature of CM and the limited number of seams, and the fact that silicone will be in those seams, I'm comfortable with this plan....so far....

Still waiting to hear from CPB on Redgard limitations visavis adhesives.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Any adhesive that has any oil in it can stain some of those composite panels, and since many of them are somewhat translucent, an uneven coat of anything, especially dark in color, can show through in some lighting. While lots of things may cause it to stick and stay there, not all are good choices. I think I'd rather use the epoxy or whatever material is designed to bond the panels into one, homogenous water-tight assembly, rather than using silicon. The 'right' stuff can be sanded and polished into an invisible seam, the silicon may last a long time, but is harder to get nice and smooth, and some silicons exude some oil when the cure so be careful of the type.

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
We've installed a number of CM and solid surface (corian et al) wall coverings in showers. Most manufacturers have suggested drywall substrates and clear silicone adhesive - a few suggested liquid nails and included some in their install kits. Be careful with using adhesives that could react with the CM/solid surfacing material - this is why I asked what the manufacturer suggests.

As the CM/solid surfacing is waterproof, all we've done to make the install completely waterproof is to flash the corners behind the solid surfacing and make sure it all overlaps the receptor flange. If possible, it's nice to set both flashing and solid surfacing into sealant over the flange AND set the solid surfacing into sealant over the flashing. Regardless, after flashing the corners, and setting the wall panels, we finish with silicone in the corners between panels and at the receptor. For flashing, we've used any number of things from rips of shower pan liner to aluminum to strips of Kerdi.

No need for Redgard, backer board or any of the rest...

I know this works well as we have a few installs 15-20 years old that look like new. :)

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Heard back from CBP. They say if you want to apply onto Redgard any adhesive other than thin set, to do the following: Apply a skim coat of Speed Finish Patching & Finishing Compound onto the RG then apply adhesive onto skim coat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks