Culligan Medalist (8in) Settings - Too Many Regens

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by ws_homeowner, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ws_homeowner

ws_homeowner New Member

The problem is I seem to go through 40# of Potassium Chloride every 4-6 weeks and I suspect the settings on my Cullilgan Medalist are off. My water use has been consistent since installation with sprinklers and drip in the summer months (17 minutes a day). My stats are this:

1 adult in house
    2 bathrooms
    7.5 gpg water hardness
    .012 ppm iron
    60 gal/day - est for next six months (Nov. - Apr.)
    165 gal/day - est for warm months (May - Oct.)

For the four settings, I have:

Salt dosage (sltp) - 10
    Backwash time (buu) - 10
    Brine Draw/Slow Rinse Time (br) - 71 (Too high?)
    Regeneration Meter Mode (Gallons) (CAPG) - has been from 60 to 240 - ** I am not sure how to determine this setting **

Based on my calculations, I want to regenerate every 45 days for the winter months but the meter mode wants gallons:

(with 10# salt)
    21,000 / 7.5 = 2800/60 = 45 --> should I simply set CAPG to 280?

After initial setup up five years ago, it seemed like I was adding salt every three months, now every 1+ months. The only other factor I can think of is I have never cleaned out the salt storage tank.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. ws_homeowner

ws_homeowner New Member

Based on a .7ft resin block, the system is rated at 4#/18,300gr, 9#/25,100gr and 12#/27,500gr. A quick calculation gives me 10#/25,900gr. Using a CAPG setting of 280 equates to 2800 gallons when I multiply by 10 (per manual), tells the system to regenerate after processing 2800 gallons of water. Since my water hardness is 7.5gpg, I multiply 2800 gallons by 7.5gpg giving a result of 21000 grains. Since my salt setting (sltp) is 10, the system can process 25,900 grains...max. That gives the system some room before reaching the max. I will makes adjustments to this number over the next few months depending on the quality of the softened water based on my initial calculations.

Also, the Brine Draw/Slow Rinse Time (br) of 71 is OK. A setting of 60-65 is typical.
  3. ws_homeowner

ws_homeowner New Member

And to answer my initial question of too many regens...the answer is no. With a CAPG setting of 120 or 1200 gallons and water usage average of 145g/day for August gives 8.27 days until a regeneration. That's approximately 4 regens in a month using 10# per regen or 40# per month. As expected based on the settings and usage.

I have noticed that the water has not been soft in the shower (no slippery feel on skin), but no water marks/deposits on dishes or anything else for that matter. Not sure why that is but I will clean the brine tank soon to eliminate that as a variable.