Culligan Mark 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would he want to go with a non-meteread valve? I haven't sold a non metered head in probably 5 years for softening.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Timeclock softeners arent even legal in many municipalities for residential applications. I install maybe 20-30 per year, and that is only for polishing softeners that feed steam boilers or EDI units that require less than 3 ppm hardness, and we set them to regenerate every 30 days since they are fed with an RO or a twin alternating softener dropping the hardness to below 10 ppm. Other than that, I dont see many applications that a timeclock softener would make any sense.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yup, agreed. Grumpy, as Gary said, the timeclock is what you have, but I doubt any of us would recommend it. Technology has moved way beyond the days of timeclock softeners. it is time to move forward with a larger metered unit that is highly efficient. A properly sized and designed softener will usually reduce salt and water use by 50% or more compared to the older style softeners like you currently have.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
All i wanted was a unit that would take out my hardness and be reliable like the one i have now. I wasnt even considering a time clock model. I think Ill get the 32k 5600SXT with the SST60 resin. Good?

grumpy 040

Reaction score
do you know if i will have to change the settings with using the SST6o resin? And do you know what to set them at?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
As far as I know, no online dealer programs the control valve to meet the need of each of their customers. I didn't do the programing but I emailed specific data and detailed personalized instructions to every customer. Most if not all online dealers have the equipment shipped from their supplier's location, it's drop shipping, and the suppliers do not change the programing from the manufacturers' default settings. I've never had a supplier do any programming, even as a local dealer. The dealer or installer is responsible to do the programing. From my experience many plumbers have their plumbing house do the programing and many well drillers do the same and it is generic, not specific to the customer's water or such, just based on the K of capacity they use for various sized softeners.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
That was nice to do that with your customers. So Im hoping someone can be nice and answer my question.

Reach4

Reaction score
See https://www.caitechnologies.com/images/PDFs/specs/SST60.pdf
If you believe what the manufacturer says, I would follow the setup for a similar capacity of regular resin, but adjust C upward according to figure 5 or the table just below the graph.

See posts such as https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?53459-Fleck-5600-SXT-amp-hard-water

Adjust for your own iron and hardness.

You could go to page 3 of 8 and adjust numbers per the top graph on page 3. Post your calculations.

I suggest you start calling it a 1 cubic foot of resin (1 cf or 1 cuft) softener.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks