Culligan Mark 59

Users who are viewing this thread

grumpy 040

Reaction score
I have a Culligan Mark 59 that is releasing water into the drain when it is sitting idle. If I bypass the system the water stops. What is causing this? I know parts are scarce. Should I fix this or get another system. What brand should I get that will give me as many years of service as this did?

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely you are going to need another system because of the parts being hard to find only through Culligan.

If you are handy you might be able to take the system apart and clean the plungers and where they seat to make sure that they are clean and seating correctly.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I got a timer from you once for it. Is this system worth anything to part out?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
bypass and timer assembly would be about it..
The rest... would be a question unless one is looking for a body that is free of cracks..

grumpy 040

Reaction score
what is the timer and bypass worth? the dealer said he would give me 100 trade on a new metalist culligan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe about what the trade in that the dealer has put on the table. Then one also needs to ask, has the relationship with your culligan dealer been good, have they treated you right over the years.
Age of your system and could the new one go the same time frame or is it time to try some thing else?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, $100 trade in? He is going to throw the unit in the trash. What price are they asking for a new system?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your local culligan dealer has stepped up when there was a challenge and done right and been fair with prices, then there is one choice.
Another choice would be another dealer in the area that sells either Fleck or Clack systems.

Any one can sell a system, the real point or deal is what happens after the sell....... will they be there and step up need needed and do the right thing at a fair price.

Online can work but really only when one is really good a trouble shooting as most of the time one is on their own for working on the system when some thing is not right.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
I never heard of Fleck or Clack systems. How do they compare with Culligan? I want something that lasts.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both are lasting and are simple to work on.
Both have valves that have been out for years..
They are the main stay for a dealer that is NOT of the corp world.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I don't recall any online dealer not offering free shipping.

And even if they didn't, their customers save hundreds to thousands of dollars for usually better quality equipment than the local dealers are selling AND, they get industry standard stuff that they can get parts for from many dealers (local and online) rather than just the one and only proprietary brand dealer they might buy from.

Funny how many guys with equipment bought from a local dealer show up in DiYer forums like this one asking for help in troubleshooting their softeners etc.. And then dive in to fix the problem themselves instead of calling out the local dealers' service guys to not do much more than attempt to replace the softener etc. with a new one instead of troubleshooting and fixing what is wrong.... All while charging a "fair price" for the service call and raving about their "excellent service".

Funnier yet is that guy that has already had the local dealer out and shortly after finds that the couple hundred dollar 'fix' didn't fix the problem. And they go online and find places like this. And then thousands more local dealers piss'n moan and whine about the comparatively very few online dealers....

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Funnier still is the number of pathetic companies selling equipment online that they have no clue as to what they are doing, and constantly trying to find cheaper components to save a few pennies so as to be the cheapest company.

In general, I recommend buying form companies that have a physical real location, just use google maps, you will see that many of the companies have residential addresses, or are a UPS store. There are plenty of companies that have real locations and build, assemble, and ship their own equipment at reasonable prices. The few extra dollars spent is usually worth it. Considering the number of calls and emails I take from people who have purchased equipment that was improperly set up, assembled etc from these low end fake water system companies.

Now to answer your question, Fleck (Pentair) makes control valves, mineral tanks, and brine tanks in the US for many companies including Culligan. Clack has similar product offerings.

Fleck and Clack are considered the best available control valves on the market by most qualified people. Many companies have made cheaper knockoffs of these control valves over the years and more are always on the way. There is even a Chinese manufacturer that makes almost exact knockoffs of the commercial valves now, truly innovative. LOL

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I wonder why we haven't people complaining about that here near as often as we do what I mentioned. Also, that part of a few extra dollars more, the OP here is showing a price about twice as much as he would pay for a softener online, and that includes shipping. But tell us how the quality of the softener bought from an online dealer working out of his house and having his supplier ship it is different than the same one from a dealer that ships the same thing. And why do you think that is worth more money? I'll expect some off the wall BS since you have no experience in either situation and can only repeat gossip from local dealers that also have no experience in online sales.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The equipment is the same. The service is too often not. I think your problem is that you were the exception. All too many online dealers have little or no experience in installing or servicing the equipment they sell. In fact, quite a few sell all kinds of things online besides filtration equipment. In short, they are little more than middle men offering drop ship service. I think that for the majority of folks it is better to purchase equipment locally because problems can be solved quickly and hopefully, parts will be available that day. Again, not always the case. There are crooks on both sides of the aisle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks