Culligan Iron Cleer compressor only runs for a second

Users who are viewing this thread

LovetoCJ7

Reaction score
I realized recently that I was not hearing the compressor turn on or the water draining from our Culligan Iron Cleer. First I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. The compressor ran for a second and stopped. I did not have time to deal with it, so to prevent any damage, I bypassed the unit completely and unplugged the power. I kind of forgot about it until I was kindly reminded when I started getting the sulfur smell in the shower. It's not horrible, but is there. I am assuming the smell has started now because of bypassing the unit, so I just started looking into troubleshooting. It seems to be difficult finding any information on these units or some decent troubleshooting steps. I do have the original manual with troubleshooting, but they are very vague. I have the old style with 2 dials underneath the cover. I first tried plugging the unit back in, after it had been sitting for a while with the water supply shut off. The compressor turns on for a second or so and then stops. I did it a few times with the same result. I then removed the wires going to the compressor and connected it to straight power, without any issues. The compressor came on and ran like it should. I put everything back together, pressurized the unit and plugged it back in, but the compressor only ran for a second. I pushed the manual regeneration, but the compressor would not stay on. It did back flush, until I turned the dial to stop the process. I am guessing that I have a bad relay, but wanted to know if there is a way to test the one we have, before buying a new one. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks

pjfontes

Reaction score
I just had a quick look at my service manual (2007). If your aeration system is similar to mine, then it's most likely the relay. Hardwiring the compressor as a test pretty much proved that. It might be tough to get a direct replacement relay from Culligan, so try digikey.

Look for the FeCleer files:
http://www.cassidywater.com/service/
;)

LovetoCJ7

Reaction score
I appreciate your input, but the relay at digikey is $400 and I already called a local Culligan dealer yesterday to check stock and pricing, before I started troubleshooting. They have everything in stock, with a new motor costing $400 and a new relay costing $70. I am probably going to pick it up a new relay today and swap it out tonight.

pjfontes

Reaction score
lucky you. That sounds reasonable. Maybe calling the local dealer is the secret? Culligan Canada wont even reply to my emails asking about parts. :S

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. That is a fancy time delay relay with two time delay settings. I see some POTTER & BRUMFIELD| CRB-48-70010 units on an auction site, but you are getting a reasonable price locally.

PM sent.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That should do the trick. If not, it may be time to consider upgrading and updating.

I noticed your name, check out this link, I have the Blue CJ7

LovetoCJ7

Reaction score
Nice Jeep! Wherever that is looks like something you would see on a post card or in a video game! I got rid of my Jeep a while ago, but am looking to get back into it again. There are not a lot of places around me for off-roading, so my group got out of it. We are slowly finding places that aren't too far away, so it's probably time to start building one again.

Anyways, back to my problem. I received a pm from Reach4 asking if the time delay on the relay was bumped at all. Could this have been the problem all along? I ended up stopping at the Culligan dealer today as I only work 15 minutes away. I asked them if the dials could move on their own, as the relay is beneath the plastic housing that has to be removed with 2 screws. (I didn't even think of trying to adjust them last night as I was in a hurry and just assumed they would not move. I did however take a picture of it as soon as I had the housing off, so I know what it was set at before I removed it.) The warehouse employee called a technician for me to get my question answered, as he said he only knows parts, not functionality. He returned and told me that the dials will sometimes move, due to the vibration of the pump. The "on time seconds" dial was all the way down at .6 seconds and the "off time minutes" dial was at 60 minutes. Culligan suggested I set my original on time seconds to 20 and off time minutes to 120. I got home, plugged it in and presto! In my haste of trying to "repair" my Culligan Iron Cleer, I completely overlooked the most simple solution. I am going to make sure it operates properly through the weekend and will be taping the dials in place to make sure this doesn't happen again. I want to say thanks again to Reach4 for the suggestion and solution of my problem. I get annoyed when I'm reading a forum that does not contain an answer to a problem, so I feel a good description is in order. ...And credit to the person that deserves it, especially when the person goes out of their way to privately message me, allowing me to save face, and not implying in any way that I am incapable of working on my appliances.

LovetoCJ7

Reaction score
I should also thank Culligan of Waukesha, WI, who did not force or try to sell me on a new relay. They were very helpful and suggested I try the one that I have before buying a new one from them. They even offered to hold it for me, but I wasn't too concerned, seeing as they had 3 in stock. If anybody is looking for a decent Culligan dealer to work with, their phone number is (262) 547-1862.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks