Crowded quarters venting issue

Users who are viewing this thread

orcas

Reaction score
Hi:

I am installing a small bathroom with a shower, w/c, and hand sink on a second story. The bathroom is serviced by a 3" soil stack. I am very constricted in vertical runs as the structure has double rim joists (total 4" thick) under the 2x6 wall framing, leaving only a little more than an inch to pass between floors within the wall cavity.

I think I managed the w/c by going with a wall hung unit mounted on a 2x6 bump-out. It drain to the stack via a Y fitting at about a 45 degree angled run of about 3 feet. I currently have no vent above the entrance into the stack, ok so far?

My bigger challenge is the shower; my intention is to run it into the other branch of the Y (this is a three-pronged Y, the middle is the continuing vent to the roof), my problem is finding a way to vent it. As I mentioned above, I can't pass pipe more than an inch (OD) between floors within the exterior walls. To complicate matters further, the one interior wall of the shower is directly over an engineered I joist, if I cut out enough for a pipe to pass the joist would be essentially useless.

I think this question has been asked about a million times, but here's one more; if the shower trap and line, 2 inch pvc, is in within 5 feet of tying into the stack do I still need a vent upstream from the stack. The project is in Washington state, if that makes a difference cade-wise.

Just to tie up loose ends, that hand sink will tie into the stack about 2 feet above the Y, 1 1/4 inch, it will be the terminal fixture, but I can put a dedicated vent on it as it is above the double rim joist blockage.

Sorry for the wordiness, but I hope I presented things adequately. I have looked at this site a number of time and greatly appreciate the knowledge that is shared.

orcas

Reaction score
on further examination, I could use 3 inch pipe from the 2 inch p-trap to the stack, it would run at a 45 degree angle for part of the way, the distance between the p-trap/drain and stack is about 3 feet.

orcas

Reaction score
here is a picture of the aforementioned Y, left branch and center are w/c and vent respectively, right unglued branch is for shower.

Sorry for dribbling information in with multiple submissions, I'm no better at posting than plumbing.

Attachments

• 20160920_180122-2.jpg
    20160920_180122-2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 255

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, UPC Plumbing code, the lav can wet vent the shower and the toilet, assuming it's done right.
If you intend to have a trap arm over to the shower, up to 60", venting on the vertical is by a santee, not a wye.
abs_santee.jpg
Santee
If you put a vent somewhere on the horizontal trap arm, then that fitting would be a combo or wye with 45.
What you have now as I see it, would not work.

Last edited:

orcas

Reaction score
Here is an upside down drawing of what I am thinking with a 3" pipe run. There is a bit of contortion to get to the Y, but I'm hoping the "over-sized" pipe will handle it, sans upstream vent. Will this pass muster?

Attachments

• 20160920_202901.jpg
    20160920_202901.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 238

orcas

Reaction score
Hi Terry, just saw your response after posting my drawing, sounds like that idea is a no go. So I have a wye in place and can get a 45 into it, but I will need to find a way to run a vent, minimum 1 1/2 inch I understand, from the shower leg upstream from the Y, no other way?

orcas

Reaction score
So I think I can build a shower seat to give me passage for a vent pipe, my new question is may I install a crown vent at a 45 degree angle and run the vent pipe with 1/4 to 12 slope for a couple of feet under the drain or must the vent be 45 degrees plus until above the rim of the shower?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could run the 3" on the left farther down and tie in low with a wye. That gives you some room to work that shower and vent in better. It's pretty crowded with the double wye.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks