crooked toilet rough, flange not flat

Users who are viewing this thread

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
i inherited a toilet rough-in that came out of the floor at an angle. i dry-fitted several different flanges and one of them seemed like it would slide down flat to the floor. but after i glued it up and took my foot off it, one side of the flange is on the floor but the other side is 1/4" or more off the floor. i set my Toto on it and the toilet isn't sitting tight to the floor.

taking up some floor / subfloor isn't out of the question but space is tight in the floor and i don't see that i can make the riser plumb.

my thought now is to flush cut the flange at floor level and use an inside flange. (when dry-fitting different flanges, the inside also sat tight to the floor.)
this is ABS, 3". it seems like reducing the size of the pipe isn't a great idea, but i measured and the inside diameter of the inside flange is still larger than the inside diameter of the horn on my Toto Drake.
so i should go for it, yes?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a good idea for the reason you mention. Using an inside flange on a 4" pipe is OK, but not a 3". You should do what you have to do to get the flange to set level on top of the finished floor. I don't thing the 3" inside flange would set level anyway.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Another option would be to use another Toto toilet model that uses a unifit rough-in if you can still return the drake. Sure the toilet would be a bit more expensive, but it would definitely be nicer in your home. You could pop a shim under the raised side before you anchor the flange, and then any offset could be addressed by the unifit flange.

A internal fit flange wouldn't solve your problem as Gary mentioned. The pipe is not rising plumb, so your only option to fix it as far as I can see, is to reinstall the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks