crooked connection - will it last?

Users who are viewing this thread

jp123

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for all the good information. I've learned a lot from here.

My main water valve was not shutting off all the way so I replaced it over the weekend. I cut it out, used a no-stop coupling on the bottom pipe and connected that to a pipe leading to a 3/4" ball valve.

The coupled connection between the pipe on the bottom and the one on top is not 100% straight. There is about a 1 degree deviation between the two. It looks something like this:

0- <-- new valve
\ \ <-- top pipe (curve is much less dramatic in reality)
| | <-- coupling
| | <-- bottom pipe

The crookedness is very slight and the area is completely dry. Do you think I have anything to worry about? Will this hold up?

Also, is it safe to undo a compression nut and reuse it? The ball valve uses compression fittings. I can see the ring coming out slightly next to the nut. I don't know if it's because I had to take it off (made a stupid mistake) and put it back on or if I just over tightened it. Either way, it is all completely dry. Thanks in advance

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of pipe is it?

As to the second question about the compression nut: it's always a better practice to replace the nut and the sleeve.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A tiny angle will be tolerated, I guess. But over time it may develop some pressure.

I've seen "misaligned" couplings fail after 10 years or so.

jp123

Reaction score
Here are some pictures. The second one shows the ring coming out next to the nut. The third one is the old valve... looking at it now, it seems like the connection there was also a little crooked.

Anyways, I don't have a lot of experience and am just a little paranoid about it. I don't feel so bad if it will last 10 years though. Was it an okay choice to use the compression fitting type of valve as opposed to sweat?

IMG_20131028_105455.jpg
IMG_20131028_105204.jpg
IMG_20131026_120901.jpg
IMG_20131028_105211.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted the photos - a picture is worth a thousand words.

From the photos, it looks fine.

The choice between compression valve or sweat valve is just a personal preference.

jp123

Reaction score
Ah great. You've made me feel a lot better. Thanks a lot dj

other opinions also welcome :)

Jm66208

Reaction score
Looks good to me as well. That solder job is a bit sloppy, but that doesn't mean it won't hold up. Those straight couplers when used vertically are a bit tricky to solder without making a mess. Trend is to over feed with solder.

jp123

Reaction score
Yeah it was my second time soldering... actually installed it the first time and the solder wouldn't take in the back because of a small drip. Learned my lesson the second time and made sure it was very dry. I was a little too careful and overdid the amount but at least there's no leak this time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks