Crimping ground wires in an outlet box

Users who are viewing this thread

Dorothy

Reaction score
I just passed my rough-electrical inspection on the house I'm building but the inspector made me promise to crimp together the ground wires in each electrical outlet box (where there are 2 or more ground wires). It was the only thing I didn't know I was supposed to do before he came out. I bought the crimper tool and the little barrel crimpers, but would like to see or have described EXACTLY how it's done, ie, how long should the wires be in front of the crimp and how much wire behind the crimp in the back of the box. I know I have to leave ONE wire LONG to fasten to the ground screw. Do I twist the bundle of wires tightly, or NOT twist them before I crimp them? Is there a video of this procedure anywhere? I want to do a perfect job. Thanks, Dorothy

Last edited:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Twist your groundg together for approx 3" (best to go past face of box), slide crimp on , crimp , leave about 3" out of crimp to attach to your devices.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I use a green grounding cap with a hole for the long wire
I then just twist them together, no crimping

l_SCW_023_04.jpg

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Either method above is acceptable. I prefere crimps. Takes up less space and you can see the actual connection point.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I like to twist the grounds together and cap the group with a merit. I have never heard of an inspector around here asking for a crimped connection.

We twist all the grounds together with an extra 8" piece and twist the lot nice and tight. Cut a clean end and cap. These ground wires are pushed back into the box nice and tight and don't take up much room.

If we have many wires coming in and the box looks tight we would add a 4"x4" box with a single gang mud ring so we have more room.

I'm not an electrician and your codes may differ from mine. Your local inspector will have a preference for which way he/she wants it done and experience has taught me to conform to their tastes as it makes life so much easier. Inspectors have access to more information and have seen huge mistakes and fine tune there requirements based on the latest and most current standards.

Dorothy

Reaction score
A merit?

I like to twist the grounds together and cap the group with a merit. I have never heard of an inspector around here asking for a crimped connection.

We twist all the grounds together with an extra 8" piece and twist the lot nice and tight. Cut a clean end and cap. These ground wires are pushed back into the box nice and tight and don't take up much room.

If we have many wires coming in and the box looks tight we would add a 4"x4" box with a single gang mud ring so we have more room.

I'm not an electrician and your codes may differ from mine. Your local inspector will have a preference for which way he/she wants it done and experience has taught me to conform to their tastes as it makes life so much easier. Inspectors have access to more information and have seen huge mistakes and fine tune there requirements based on the latest and most current standards.

Pls. forgive my ignorance, but what's a merit? (The plot thickens. )I DO appreciate your detailed answer to my previous question.
Thanks, Dorothy

Dorothy

Reaction score
Help! Help!

I use a green grounding cap with a hole for the long wire
I then just twist them together, no crimping

l_SCW_023_04.jpg

Just kidding. Thanks for your answer though. I bought some caps and will give that a try. It sounds better than twisting and crimping and cutting--something I can't UN-do if it's off a little. If you wanna see why I said HELP in jest, but it WOULD be nice to have some help, click on www.dorothyainsworth.com. It has been a 30-year project!
Dorothy

Dorothy

Reaction score
Makes sense.

Either method above is acceptable. I prefere crimps. Takes up less space and you can see the actual connection point.

It does sound like simplicity wins again. Space IS a problem in standard sized boxes. I used some deep boxes and some double boxes with single faceplate to accommodate more wires. I may use crimps in some and caps on others, depending on space. Thanks for your answer!
Dorothy

Dorothy

Reaction score
Thanks!

I like crimps as well since you can leave out as many tails as there are devices.

"Licensed electrical contractor" caught my eye. Thanks for your input; it means a lot coming from a professional. It's a miracle I passed my rough-electrical inspection, and will be another if I pass the final! Haha. I just keep on keepin' on. Thanks again, Dorothy www.dorothyainsworth.com.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
The "merit" that was mentioned is what Canadiens call a wirenut. I normally see it called a Marette, which might be a brand name.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks