Crimped Supply Lines

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DMLane, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DMLane

DMLane New Member

I hired a plumber to install two bathroom sinks and faucets. I requested metal traps and hardware since these elements are exposed and not hidden inside cabinetry. Upon inspection, I noticed that the supply lines (chrome plated copper?) were considerably crimped during installation in order to coax the line into the proper position for hookup. Two of the lines have about an 85° angle and the chrome plating is now abraded. The water flow through the tap seems strong enough, but I worry about the integrity of the supply tubes being compromised and weakened at the bend. Is this a valid concern? Should I request that the plumber return to redo this work?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

DMLane
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

kink

replace for sure..........
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipes

Are they actually "indented" crimped, or merely a gentle curve? A sharp bend will eventually crack at that point.
  4. DMLane

DMLane New Member

re: pipes

Hi hj. It's a very sharp bend with a crease and a flare-out of the metal. The chrome plating is also chipping off at the site. Should I request that he install braided stainless steel risers instead? What is the best material for this component? Thanks in advance for your help, hj.

DMLane
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

supplies

The problem most people have with the braided supplies on a pedestal lav is that they are a fixed length, and so they have to be looped or twisted to use up the extra length. There are some made with a section of copper tubing that can be cut off and eliminate that problem, but they are not a normal stock item with most suppliers. He should use a tubing bender if he is going to install the chrome risers.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

to be honest

i question, weather the person that left this, has it in them to do a proper job! hire for attitude, train for skill, is how i work. there isn,t much of that anymore! sorry i,m rambling again. good luck
  7. DMLane

DMLane New Member

re: supplies

Thanks for the explanation, hj. I'm not too keen on looping or twisting, so I'll be prepared to inquire first about length. Your replies have been a big help.

DMLane
  8. DMLane

DMLane New Member

re: to be honest

Hi toolaholic. Yes, I question his commitment to quality at this point also. You are so right to hire for attitude, for that cannot be taught. Thanks for your reply.

DMLane
  9. DMLane

DMLane New Member

re: kink

Hi plumber1. Thanks for your reply. They will be replaced tomorrow. :)