Crazy situation with location of Gas line laid by NJ Natural Gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
So we needed a new service line from the gas company from the Natural Gas company on rehab after a fire.. They asked me where I wanted the line so I said to talk to my plumber who was doing the rough in. I thought well maybe it would be moved up a few feet or back a few feet. Never in million years did I think the meter would be change to the complete opposite side.
So after a month the line is installed and my Contractor (who lives a couple of doors down) said , why did they move the line from the left side of the house to the driveway side? That is the same side where we have an Car Charger coming out and Window. The side is only about 25 feet wide. There is no garage. It's only a driveway. The side where the meter used to be has no windows and no electrical.
The plumber denies he told them to switch it. He claims he told them either side. The gas company has notes indicating we wanted the right side.

The contractor raised the two problemthat:
1. Meters shouldn't be put in the driveways normally for obvious reasons in that they could be run in to by the car.( That of couse could be remedied by putting polls around the meter.)

2. This will prevent the house from ever being upgraded with a garage on that side.

I looked at the Natural Gas guidelines for meter placement and meters *should only* be placed on the driveway side if there is no other viable location. The cost to move the line is about $5,000 and who knows how much how delay. Any comments on the Foobar or how serious it impacts thc value of the house?
meter-locations.png
options:
1. Hold my nose and let it go
2. Try to blame gas company sine they violated their own guidelines or did they?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If it rises to the level of a code violation in your jurisdiction they can be forced to fix it on your own dime, but it would be PITA for you, for sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks