Crawl space drain - backed up

Users who are viewing this thread

gregh

Reaction score
Hi All,
About 3 years ago, We had a drain added for a washing machine inside the house. It was added into the drain line for the sink/garbage disposal with a "y" valve. Recently, I noticed that water is backing up more and more into our sink and takes 10-15 minutes to drain. After doing some inspection and troubleshooting, it looks like the install is causing the problem. The "Y" joint with the washing machine is now sagging and there is quite a bit of build up due to improper drainage (3 years worth). I've tried a garden hose with pressure, using a pipe auger, and a few other methods under the house with no luck. My next inclination is to cut a section of the pipe out where the clog is, remove the clog, and add strapping, etc to let gravity correct the problem. Any advice appreciated.
02.jpg
01.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The piping is supposed to be supported every 4 feet. Once you correct the pitch with proper support and clear the pipe, you should be fine.

Reaction score
You have it easy: no digging, it's all in the open easy to access, soft PVC that is easy to cut.

Start by disconnecting those removeable couplers, and you want to install a cleanout somewhere there.

That's one hell of an horizontal, make sure you don't have any bad grades that would hoard any water inside it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider replacing the fitting I marked with a yellow arrow with a long sweep elbow. I would think that may be where the backups are occurring. But yes, you will need to support your pipe too.

If you can get access, you might try a Brasscraft Drain bladder on the end of that garden hose.

Attachments

• IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 286

PMonroe

Reaction score
Thank you, this is just what I was looking for I thought I had to change it to a long sweep elbow!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks