Crawl space dilema

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by hondatech, Mar 31, 2008.

1. hondatech

hondatech New Member

I have a rancher style house with a crawlspace. I live in Maryland right off of the Chesapeake bay. I have a high water table and my soil is practically clay. That being said, I have a trench around the perimeter inside my crawl space. I have no sump pump. The trench isn't graded so that water will run to one spot.
    Now should I have a pump? If so where should I put it? The previous owner had a colinder with a bilge pump in it just inside the access to the crawl space. The bilge pump failed.
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

If you have a crawl space then the water isn't going to get into the living area. You need to grade things so the water will drain away.

It would take away a big sump pump to carry away the amount of surface water that can collect in that area if you don't have good drainage to carry it away.
  3. hondatech

hondatech New Member

Is there something I can do around the outside perimeter of the house? Is water more likely coming in through the block or by hydrostatic pressure?
  4. thassler

thassler New Member