Crane tup spout won't turn

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jimz, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jimz

jimz New Member

Trying to remove the spout to a Crane tub set, and i can't get the spout to turn. It might be rust or calcium build-up. I've really twisted hard, but no luck. Any tricks I could try? what potential damagecould result if I just kept reefing on the thing?
    jimz
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Tub spouts come in two general varieties: slip on, and screw on. If it is a slip-on version, you have to loosen the setscrew first. If it is a screw-on, then it could just be frozen. Especially if they used an iron nipple. the only way may be to cut it off. What are you using for leverage? See what the pros have to say.
  3. jimz

jimz New Member

tub spout

Thanks for the reply. it's a screw-on, I think. No set screw is visible. I used a 12 inch pry bar inserted into the spout with no luck. It was installed in the late '60s or '70s, and it may well have an iron pipe assembly. What's the worst that could happen if I keep trying to unscrew?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Worst, you break it off, or the pipe in the wall. 12" should be enough. SOmetimes, trying to tighen it first will help to break things free. If it is siliconed to the wall, that glue will make it really tough to turn. A sharp razor to cut through that first may help. If it has a setscrew, it would be on the bottom, generally in a hole or slot, and not sticking out.

You may want to get out a hacksaw. Still feel better to see what the pros have to say...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the piece is so tight it will not loosen easily, I have NEVER been able to get it still tighter first. And if trying to unscrew it could break the nipple, I suspect tightening it further would do the same thing.