crane mixing valve

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sshakkour, Mar 16, 2008.

1. sshakkour

sshakkour New Member

greetings

after looking on the net for the valve i have in the shower i am almost sure i have a crane pre-war mixing valve , and i have a dripping leak ; i did remove the stem and removed the packing nut which was hard to put back because of the spring in it ;but really i do not know what i should be looking for to replace or to stop the leak. please help

thanks

sshakkour
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does the stem have a washer on the end? If so, take the screw out and install a new washer. Then, take a close look at the part where that washer seats...funny thing, it's called the seat. If that isn't smooth, you should replace that. You need a special (inexpensive) tool to remove it. If the stem itself is all worn out, you might be able to find a replacement for it...the easiest way is to take it with you to a good plumbing store. In the end, it might be time to replace the thing with a new valve...over 50-years is a long time...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

How about a picture. Most valves do not have springs on them, and once you remove the stem there is seldom a need to remove the packing nut.
  4. sshakkour

sshakkour New Member

pictures

these are the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this will help ; sorry it took me some time to figure out this .

thanks

sshakkour