Crane Eco Opus 3 any good?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lcann25, Aug 28, 2011.

1. lcann25

lcann25 New Member

Hello everyone,

Looking at upgrading my ?? old 13 Liter no name toilet with something better and more efficient. Without being too graphic, I tend to have bouts of I.B.S and need a good bowl wash.. I would love a Toto Drake, but they are almost $400 here in Canada and I would have to drive an hour to get one. I am looking to spend around $200. I've done research on the 6 Liter Cadet 3 and I am sure it would be a great toilet. I can get it locally for $197 But I have run across another option at the local Canadian Tire and they sell the Crane Eco Opus 3 for the same money and it is a more efficient 4.8Liter H.E.T. Still have very good specs like 3" flush valve and 2 1/8" glazed trapway, and 1000 gram map score, but I cannot find any information about this toilet online, I would like to see a video of it flushing to see the performance, so I am turning here. Anyone have/used one of these, bad or good? Should I stick with the Cadet 3 or maybe another option that someone knows about..
    http://www.craneplumbing.com/productDetail.aspx?id=4494

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The Drake II would have a better bowl wash. The Cadet can be an okay toilet, but QA/QC is spotty, check it carefully first. No idea about the Crane.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

FWIW, I made a 300 mile round trip to get my first Toto and it was worth it. I didn't have to pony up $400 though. That's the benefit for living close enough to Terry to get his pricing. My second Toto was even a better deal! Terry was coming within 35 miles of my home, so I picked it up from him with only a 70 mile round trip. My real point is this. Toto is the gold standard in toilets. Since a toilet can be considered a once in a lifetime purchase, isn't it worth a bit more money and effort to get the best? Have you checked with plumbing shops in you area to see if they will order a Toto for you? Online purchases are also possible, but if you do this, inspect the toilet for damage before accepting delivery. Individually shipped toilets are not packaged to withstand rough treatment and ofter arrive broken. The upside of online is excellent pricing. Crane and Kohler are not highly recommended brands, and AS has a big problem with quality, especially those sold in Big Box Stores. It is widely believed AS sells toilets that have manufacturing flaws to Box Stores at a very low price. Toto does not do this.
  4. lcann25

lcann25 New Member

Thanks for the very good information Gary, I think I am going to save my pennies and go for the Drake. As you said, A once in a lifetime purchase. Ill take it with me if/when I sell the house. LOL.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. RedHouse

RedHouse New Member

Agreed with Terry.

Cadet 3. Opus 3

Cheap. Expensive
    Good Flush. Good flush
    American Standard Brands. American Standard Brands
    looks the same. Looks the same
  7. Otto Ostpreuss

Otto Ostpreuss New Member

I have an American Standard Cadet that works very well upstairs and an American Standard Champion 4 on the main floor which cost me only $298 at Home Depot (also Lowes if they've made it out that far) and a quote of $315 at Rona and it works exceptionally well. I saw the advert for the Crane a Canadian Tire too. Consumers Reports rated the A S Champion 4 the highest. Toto toilets cost $500 here.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

While I don't know what the rate of exchange does to prices in Canada, To say that Toto toilets are $500 in Canada and end that comment with a period is hardly accurate. Toto toilets in the US range in price from just over $200 US to several thousand depending on model selected. The comment that, "you'll have a heck of a time if you need parts with the Toto is hockum pure and simple. Toto parts are common off the shelf items at Lowes and are quite reasonably priced. I have to believe Mr. Otto Ospreuss may have an interest in AS. It is common knowledge that Consumers Reports ratings for toilets have proven to be totally wrong. (I really have no idea what he means that, "I am with Terry here too..." Terry sells Toto toilets by the thousands. Me thinks your research stinks.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea what Otto was talking about either.
    Parts for the TOTO can be found in any hardware store. Finding parts for American Standard has been hit and miss. For many of their toilets, say for instance the "Champion", those were only getable by calling customer service and having them mailed until fairly recently.