Crane Drexel Toilet, pictures and reviews. A real water waster

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Terry, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Crane used to make a large tank, two piece toilet in the fifties called the Drexel.
    It came in various colors, and used lots and lots of water to flush with. What do you think? Maybe seven gallons per flush for this toilet? A real water waster, but it did wash the bowl over and over and over again. How many antiques are out here like this. Water districts would love to see these all in the trash.

[​IMG]

Crane Drexel in White

[​IMG]
    Crane Drexel in Green

[​IMG]
    Crane Drexel in yellow

[​IMG]
    Crane Drexel in Blue

Most of these pictures are from 1954 to 1958
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

And now some vidoe of the Crane Drexel toilets

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

ahh the drexel....sexy
  4. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

My grandma's house built in 1950 had the bathroom completely outfitted in Crane fixtures. The original toilet had to have been the Drexel, the style as first pictured. I remember for sure it was a reverse trap model. That was replaced 9 years ago when the bowl cracked and flooded the bathroom. I remember that old thing flushing for what seemingly was forever, like in the video's.
    Seven gallons though?? Toilets back in the day varied in their water usage by model greatly and more then you think used way less water then many say. My 1959 Cadet at factory water level is only metered in at 4 GPF. even some of the 1962-197? Cadets didn't even use 5GPF, but from what I see most used 5 gallons. My 1979 Gerber uses 2.9 Gallons of water to flush effectively. In those video's it looks like the Drexel's are using more like 5GPF. Eljer's of the time were known to use somewhere about 2.5-3 gallons of water per flush, in a time where everyone was using 4 or even 5 gallons.
  5. Peterson

Peterson New Member

Don't be talkin' SMACK about Crane Drexel toilets! They are awesome! :) I had a 1958 pink Crane Drexel toilet in the house I grew up in and that thing NEVER EVER clogged. When I was little, I flushed matchbox cars, legos, tinker toys, etc. down it and that toilet took it all! Who knows about the sewers though!! When we remodeled the bathroom (pipes broke under the bathtub which forced a major whole bathroom remodel), our neighbors took the pink toilet and installed it in their basement where it still operates today good as new.

Our toilet had a built in overflow tube in the tank similiar to the 1970's Eljer Touch Flush toilets. The flapper was a unique kind that snapped into a hard plastic button attached to the tank bolts.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

How about some pictures and videos of the "saddle seat" Crane Criterion. That was also a water waster, as all were at that time, but a VERY expensive water waster. Your picture of the yellow one looks like that commercial for a toilet cleaner where the guy goes in and all that he sees is the closet flange and water line.
  7. achutch

achutch New Member

Interesting observation about the 1950's Eljer, gusherb94. My 1952 Eljer (with the exclusive "Elvortex Whirlpool Jet") has a much smaller tank than my 1950's "Standard" Cadet. The Cadet is the same model as yours, but about 4 or 5 years older. The Eljer is currently set up in the summer cabin, waiting to be awakened in May, that is if we can get rid of this snow!!!
  8. achutch

achutch New Member

Have only seen the Crane Drexel in Texaco stations here in New England. Impressive flush! Nothing like those '50s colors ! Your pink Drexel must have looked sharp! Glad it's still alive and well in your neighbor's basement!

Of course, you had the real thing. Crane, Eljer, etc. today exist in name only.... SAD!

Terry: Nice photos. The green one is my favorite (but not in that background)