Crane 2 handle shower valve body too shallow in finished wall surface

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
I'm a senior in the closing stage of DIY gut and rebuild of a shower that I originally built over 30 years ago. I decided to avoid any plumbing rework and reused the existing Crane valve body that I had originally installed 30 years ago and which has always worked reliably.

Unfortunately I now realize that my finished tile surface is going to be thicker than my original tiled surface had been. (The tiles are a bit thicker + I had to add some additional thin set thickness to flatten the area where the taps are). As a result the valve stems are now ending up shallower in the wall than I want them to be. When closed, the handle bases stop just barely before hitting the new finished tile surface, so fortunately I'm not totally dead in the water. Additionally, in order for the handles to stop just barely before hitting the finished wall, I need to forgo installing an escutcheon plate behind the handles, to properly finish the holes cut in the tiling where the valve stems come through. Again, this isn't the end of the world, because I can forgo the escutcheon plates and just use silicone to seal the area behind the handles, but obviously it won't look as good as if I had normal escutcheon plates behind the handles.

Question 1: Is there some way to extend the existing Crane valve stems so they'll stick out a little more?

Question 2: In the process of gutting the old shower, I had to destroy the 2 original Crane escutcheon plates I had. I still have the 2 original chrome sleeves that cover the valve stems. Their outside diameter is 1 3/8". If I figure out a way to extend the valve stems, does anyone have any idea if I can find replacement escutcheon plates? I've looked but haven't spotted anything yet.

I've attached 2 pictures to show what I've described. I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
IMAG1106.jpg
IMAG1105.jpg

Reaction score
Common problem.

They do sell faucet stem extensions, even manufacturer specific.

They expect you to cut to desired length.

As for new plates, manufacturers like Danco will have universal 3rd party ones.

All you really need is something that fits. Don't get too picky on restoring an exact match. At least get something to finish the job so you can take showers, you can use the rest of your life to replace it again what you really want.
valve_stem_extension.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have taken the opportunity to update things to something that you know will have parts available for the next 30-years! If you're lucky, you may find an extension adapter for your existing valve. It is, as was said, fairly common to find for new valves.

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Thanks! Standardairconditioner. That's exactly the kind of simple solution I was hoping might exist. I don't intend to obsess over making a perfect match. My wife only wants to have the shower back and the mess in the bathroom cleaned up :(

As I said, I'm a senior and after starting this job a number of months ago and seeing how long it's taking me to finish it, I've come to the sad realiztion that it's going to be my last major DIY project on this house. (Previously I've always done major work myself). Since I'm not planning to live in it till I'm 100, I know I won't be in the house in 30 years and when I sell the house (or they carry me out) the fate of the house is that it will be sold for the property and the house itself will either be a complete tear down or a total gut. (The house is just a year or 2 short of reaching the century mark). Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks