Cracking noises from PVC pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

BobS0327

Reaction score
Every time I flush a toilet or drain a bathtub or sink from either of the two bathrooms on my second floor, I hear "cracking" noises from the PVC drain pipes. It is very loud at the beginning of the water draining and then tapers off near the end of the draining. This noise has been going on for months. It happens all the time. There are no water leaks It's just that the PVC pipes make "cracking" noises for lack of a better description of the noise.

My two questions are

1. What causes the noise?
2. How can I eliminate the noise?

Thanx in advance for any advice offered.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is normally pipe being pinched by the wood. Pipe moves and the wood doesn't. You can go in and make sure the wood is not snug against the plastic pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PVC actually changes size quite a bit with temperature changes, so this is especially prevelant when running hot water down the pipes - it heats up quickly, expands, and anywhere it is tight or constricted, rubs against things and makes noises. It makes noises when it contracts after the hot water stops, too, but often that is slower, so you may not hear it, or hear it as much.

BobS0327

Reaction score
Thanx for the info. I was getting a little concerned that it might be some sort of serious structural issue affecting the PVC pipes which would have to be addressed althought the house is only eleven years old.

Thanx again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks