Cracked toilet flange

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rsmith99, May 15, 2011.

1. rsmith99

rsmith99 New Member

I am installing new tile in my bathroom. This is over a concrete slab.

When I started to lay the final tiles around the toilet flange I noticed a crack around the inside of the flange.

I remember seeing a line at the same location when I started the project but now it is about a 1/16" crack halfway around the flange. Originally I did not have bolts holding the flange to the floor. I figured If the pipe is in cement and it wont move. But the tension on the toilet bolts probably stressed the flange and caused the crack.

When I installed this flange about 20 years ago, I busted out a 10-12" hole in the floor.
    Is there an easier way to do this so I just bust the cement around the pipe and flange?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You shouldn't need to bust concrete. Assuming the pipe has enough length before the bend, it can be cut from the inside and a new piece spliced in. You might have to shave a little bit to get the coupler down the hole.
  3. rsmith99

rsmith99 New Member

The concrete is tight against the pipe.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If the pipe was cemented in, you would have never gotten the outside toilet flange on.

Once the pipe is cut, it can be pulled out of the hole. It might take some prying and prodding, but concrete does not stick well to PVC. If you are having trouble, make cuts an inch apart and pull it out in pieces.
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Now you know why I, and most plumbers, do NOT use an all plastic flange. There are several ways that MIGHT work to remove the flange, but there may be only ONE that works for you, and I am not sure which one it is. I would have to actually be there before deciding how I would do it.
  6. rsmith99

rsmith99 New Member

OK, I busted out the concrete around the toilet flange. I musted out a little mre than need to get rid of some high spots.
    If I make the new flange level with the top of the tile I will have to raise the nevel of the flange about 1/2".
    This means the pipe coming out of the ground will not come up all the way in the flange. It is about 1/2" from the edge on the flange. (See the photo)

Is this enough to hold the flange and make it water tight?

Attached Files: