Cracked cast iron 4-way Tee in Vent stack/sewer drain in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Rudy6897

Reaction score
Quick summary: we’ve had a leak behind the bathroom wall from where the kitchen drain ties into the bathroom plumbing to reach the sewer drain pipe.

From the picture I’m attaching, you’ll see the galvanized pipe coming from the left wall; I have successfully removed that pipe.

The big issue is that when I was trying to remove the galv pipe coming in from the right side, the cast iron 4-Way Tee cracked off as I was just beginning to get the pipe to start to unscrew.

It appears I will now have to cut out the 4-Way and replace.

Do you have any advise or tips on how I should proceed?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Droid X Pictures2-22-11 022.jpg
    Droid X Pictures2-22-11 022.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9,438

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could cut the pipe below the fitting and use a no-hub coupling.
Measure the OD of the pipe.
If it's 4-3/8" it's a standard 4" no-hub
If it's 4-1/8", then that's copper pipe size, and you will need a Copper x Cast no-hub, Mission makes those.

orton_coupling.jpg

A standard no-hub coupling with old cast iron pipe. This should have been a copper sized mission coupling by new cast iron.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before you cut anything, ensure that the upper and lower sections are properly supported, or you could have some big surprises (the upper is much more important than the lower, but it doesn't hurt to ensure it's supported as well). Depending on where you live, you may need to replace with CI. there are hubless equivalent pieces. All of the plastic pieces readily available seem to have hubs, which would require gluing in a stub to then mate with the existing CI.

Rudy6897

Reaction score
Terry,
You, by far, have the very best informational plumbing website out there! I've spent a few hours here searching "cracked cast iron vent stack".

I actually have access to most of all parts needed; my dad & I own a couple of Ace Hardware stores down here in Florida. We also have a few great plumbing contractors with charge accounts here that are also good friends; one has a son that works for us. Scott Curry (Curry Plumbing), came out to my house, before I had opened up the walls, to help track down where a leak was coming from behind the walls.

Then, I have a college kid whose dad is a union plumber up in New York that told me pretty much what you're telling me to do; cut the cast iron pipe about 12" above the top hub, then cut about where the 2"x6" is notched out, use Fernco couplings, and be done with it. I'm just concerned that we can get the new PVC-DWV 4-way Tee to line up so we don't have to reroute any pipes. What about cutting right below the bottom of the lower hub? That would give us a little more leeway.

As you might imagine, this whole plumbing fiasco is gonna be a battle with my Nationwide Insurance!

Thanks for what you provide with this great site!
Sincerely,
Bruce

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was thinking of cutting below the lower hub.

When your guy says Fernco, he doesn't mean the rubber ones?
We use the stainless steel banded couplings to prevent pipe shift.
Some plumbers aren't aware of the two different cast iron pipe sizes. The non-banded Fernco will make up the difference in O.D, but they also don't hold the pipes in place, nor to they prevent the pipes from shifting. The shielded couplings do.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The cross, (not a 4 way tee, which is something entirely different), will have letters cast into the side of it. Part of them will either be "XH", or "SV", which will tell you which material you have. In Florida, it is probably SV, in a "unionized" area it would usually be XH.

Rudy6897

Reaction score
Calling in the troops!

I think I'm calling in the troops, in other words, my loyal plumber, to correct the problem. He'll have all the proper tools, insurance, etc.,,,.

I have my business to run (my dad & I own a couple of ACE Hardware stores), and Scott has a plumbing business to make a living with! Sure, I could probably get the project done in double the amount of time, but I have business to take care of here @ the store.

Here's a better picture of the cracked pipe.
Tee.jpg

I think it's the right thing to do.
My good friend, who's in his 70's, doesn't need to be getting beat up with this project; he'll be way more useful when it comes time to put all the walls back up and install the new bathroom components!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks