Crack isolation membrane?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by tate16t, Apr 3, 2008.

1. tate16t

tate16t New Member

Can someone recommend a crack isolation membrane. I'm doing procelain tile over a concrete slab where some cracks exist.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

3. tate16t

tate16t New Member

Thanks for your response. What about a product called Ditra? I was told by a friend this is a good solution. Are you aware of this?
  4. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I used Ditra in my kitchen. I really liked using it. Seems a little hokey when you first start using it and putting it down, but it's worked well. It's great stuff. Pricey for what it is, but it's good.

Jason
  5. jadnashua

Ditra is made by www.schluter.com and is a great product. It is designed for combating deflection issues, not potentially spreading that can come from a crack. Typically, crack isolation membrane is used over and to the sides of the crack by maybe a foot or so. Ditra is designed to be used in place of cbu on a wood floor, or over a slab in its entirety. On a slab, it has an additional advantage in that the channels allow the slab to breath a little, and is a great choice over a green slab (which shouldn't be tiled otherwise for at least a month). An isolation membrane is typically quite thin but elastic. Ditra is fairly rigid and much thicker than an crack isolation membrane, making its use over only a crack problematic. It is conceivable that you may want both. Ditra does have some abilty over a crack, but that is not its primary function.
  6. tate16t

tate16t New Member

hmmm... a lot of folks must be confused about the use of Ditra because I'm being told to use it for my purpose by multiple people.
  7. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

I called Schluter and was told that Ditra can be used for my purpose. That is, to protect my tile from cracking due to potential movement of the cement floor due to existing cracks.
  8. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Someone there told you that Ditra is A crack isolation membrane???? I think Not.

This is a crack isolation membrane. ANSI 118.12

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. jadnashua

Is that slc embedding the heating wire, or is it thinset? If thinset, it appears to be WAY thicker than allowed, unless it is a medium bed mortar. If the heating is turned on too soon after installation, you can have some bad things happen.
  10. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Check out the Resource Section here for more info on Crack Isolation Membranes.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014