Crack in Kohler acrlyic tub...

Users who are viewing this thread

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
Installed a $600 Kohler archer bathing tub two years ago. After installing it and tiling the surround I noticed a 3 inch wide circle on the floor where there was a depression and it would move with slight pressure on it. It was like there was a defect and it did not have proper support under this one area as if there was an air bubble underneath. (This tub has a 1/2 thick black pan material that is molded on the bottom that I am told is for support/waterproofing).

image.jpg

Well after two years, multiple hairline cracks have suddenly formed around where the depression is (I'm trying To attach picture). Naturally, Kohler is done with me because it is out of warranty and the service rep they gave me to pay out of pocket was not helpful and said they couldn't repair it because of the "structure" whatever that means.

Can these acrylic tubs really not be repaired? I have one bath and my wife is nine months pregnant with our third and I just need this fixed without a complete gut job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would look in the yellow pages under tub chip repair.
It should be fixable in place. With one job that had a soft floor in a one-piece fiberglass tub, they chip contractor came out, drilled holes through the bottom of the tub and poured some support under the tub, making it rock hard after setting up. They then patched the holes they had made and made the tub look like new, all done in place without removing anything.

Last edited:

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
Well I called Kohler Tech support and they said these are not repairable with cracks on the bottom cause they have to be repaired on the backside (which defeats the purpose of a repair in my book) and they can't access the back because of the waterproofing membrane on the back. Any fix on the top side the tech person said would not be permenant and would fail.

Even thought it was out of warranty they said they are going to send me a new tub, which is nice. But I will have to replace the tub tile surround completely as it seems just trying to remove a couple rows and replace the tub will be too difficult.

Bathtub Woes

Reaction score
Well I called Kohler Tech support and they said these are not repairable with cracks on the bottom cause they have to be repaired on the backside (which defeats the purpose of a repair in my book) and they can't access the back because of the waterproofing membrane on the back. Any fix on the top side the tech person said would not be permenant and would fail.

Even thought it was out of warranty they said they are going to send me a new tub, which is nice. But I will have to replace the tub tile surround completely as it seems just trying to remove a couple rows and replace the tub will be too difficult.
I have just completed a bathroom gut. I had a Kohler Archer tub installed. We have been using it for less than 2 weeks and it has several cracks. My contractor believes the problem is with the tub design. Because of the tub sitting in the black "basin" the thin acrylic over lay is constantly rubbing against the basin when pressure is applied to the tub, such as standing or sitting in it.

I contacted Kohler, they have issued me a "letter of replacement". So I can get another tub but the removal of the old tub and installation of the new tub will be my responsibility. This tub was installed in a gutted space. In order to install a new tub with the least amount of deconstruction it would require taking down tile, portions of walls and the tub would have to come in through the outside wall. To be done any other way would require a partial gut of new wall tile, floor tile and plaster.

Either way I am spending thousands of dollars to replace this tub which has manufacturer design defects. Since Kohler was so quick to give me a refund, I am guessing that this is a known problem with this tub. They should not be allowed to continue to sell this defective product to unsuspecting consumers.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before you put in a new acrylic tub, I suggest you try this search in the search box above:
mortar piles

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks