cpvc shower head stubouts

Users who are viewing this thread

chaddix

Reaction score
I'm currently building a new home and paid a plumber to do my rough. He stubbed the shower heads with cpvc coming out of the wall and capped off. How do I get a female fitting on the cpvc to accept the shower head and it be short enough for the trim ring to cover it. I thought that all shower head stubs are done with copper. With the cpvc I actually have the edge of the street elbow set at the edge of the exterior wall so a 1/2 glue to 1/2 female will get the shower pipe installed but again my concern is the trim ring going flush against the wall. What am i missing here??
Thanks

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
chaddix said:
I'm currently building a new home and paid a plumber to do my rough. He stubbed the shower heads with cpvc coming out of the wall and capped off. How do I get a female fitting on the cpvc to accept the shower head and it be short enough for the trim ring to cover it. I thought that all shower head stubs are done with copper. With the cpvc I actually have the edge of the street elbow set at the edge of the exterior wall so a 1/2 glue to 1/2 female will get the shower pipe installed but again my concern is the trim ring going flush against the wall. What am i missing here??
Thanks
I'm not sure they make the fitting you are talking about for cpvc.
Most plumbers will do the riser in copper then you would have the 1/2"sweatX1/2"fmale then maybe the shower goose neck or a piece of black pipe or anything 1/2" ips comming out the wall so it can be tiled or what ever.
Tell the plumber to come back and fix it.

chaddix

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks patrick88. They do make the fitting in cpvc and your idea of tile is dead on. Had I done tile there'd be plenty of room for the fitting the gooseneck screws into and the trim would cover no prob. All the other baths are tile and will be no prob. I'll call him back to fix it.
Thanks for your help!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't use any steel or iron in that, or you'll end up with rust eventually.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Don't use any steel or iron in that, or you'll end up with rust eventually.
just as the temp stub out so the shower wall can be installes and the dry wallers don't cover the riser.

chaddix

Reaction score
Thats the whole issue I'm having with this..the walls are already installed and painted. Wish I'd have noticed this oversight sooner. Point well taken about the iron or galvanized pipe but to be clear mr88 was only talking about temp usage because the gooseneck will be the permenat pipe anyway.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cpvc

If the arm is going to connect to a CPVC stub out, it will probably break off someday. And if these are tub/showers and he used CPVC to connect to the diverter spout then you will have another/different problem when filling the tub.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/2" CPVC is simply not suitable for supporting a shower head or a bathtub spout; but the "plumber" save $3 which was added to his profit.

If you are lucky, he just screwed a nipple with adapter into a proper threaded brass drop elbow as a temporary until the finish was installed.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks