CPVC or PEX - which is better for repiping a home?

Users who are viewing this thread

TF52

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I'm planning to have my QEST pipes removed and replaced.
I have been getting a lot of opinions and estimates.
Some plumbers say to use PEX others recommend CPVC.
Can you tell me which one is less likely to have problems in the future, less likely to break or leak?

Also, do I need pressure regulating valves or thermal expansion tank put in when having the home repiped from QEST to CPVC or to PEX?

thank you
TF

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This depends on what the plumber is comfortable with. I prefer PEX over CPVC though.

If you are over 80 PSI, you will need a reducer. And if you add the reducer, I would go ahead and install an expansion tank. I like having an expansion tank anyway. It prevents the pressure ups and downs.

TF52

Reaction score
thanks for your answer Terry. Can I ask why PEX is preferred? A plumber just told me that CPVC has a better warranty and I'm not clear on why that is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some PEX comes with a 25 year warranty.

Uponor PEX plumbing systems are backed by a 25-year warranty when installed by an Uponor-trained professional.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/Header/Systems/Plumbing/Homeowner/Overview.aspx

http://www.viega.net/xchg/en-us/hs.xsl/778.htm#solutions

Guaranteed Reliability PEX

• Viega ProPress fittings carry a 50-year warranty against manufacturer defect.
  • [h=2]What kind of warranty is offered?
    [/h]
    Viega offers a 10-year fully transferable, limited warranty on our PureFlow product line when installed by a licensed plumber.

CPVC
Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Company (Charlotte Pipe®) warrants to the original owner of the structure in which its FlowGuard Gold CTS CPVC Pipe and Fittings (the “Products”) have been installed, that the Products will be free from manufacturing defects and conform to currently applicable ASTM standards under normal use and service for a period of ten (10) years.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/Warranties/WA-FGG.pdf

Any of the three warranties above would be fine.
It's really what your plumber wants to use.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex, being flexible, can be snaked places and end up being faster and have fewer connections. Fewer connections, fewer places where an error can be made and a leak occur. That isn't to say, you can't use lots of fittings, but because the stuff bends fairly easily, it can snake around corners without one. Pex will likely look less 'professional', since it's tough to get nice straight lines - but, most of the time, it's covered over with a finished wall, so not too big a deal. Pex is also much more resistant to bursting if it should freeze. The fittings don't like it, but the tubing pretty much doesn't care. Because the ID of the pipe is somewhat restricted, depending on the flow required, you may need or want larger OD pipe than you might with copper, but pex, if you don't go wild with fittings, has less internal friction and you maximize what you have, sometimes letting you use smaller than otherwise required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks