Covering up an ugly basement floor

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by alexjag33, Oct 21, 2008.

1. alexjag33

alexjag33 New Member

Can I Save My "New Basement" Party? :(

I've been working on my basement for a long time. It is done- well, almost. The carpet has been delayed.

Problem is, I planned my "New Basement" party a while ago. The carpet will not get here in time. The concrete basement floor now has 2 years of paint and stain drips on it, and looks hideous.

I thought of coating the whole floor with a cheap tinted drywall primer or something, and then tossing some big rugs on it. Would this be OK on the basement floor? (Meaning, will it look OK and not damage the floor in any way.)

Would this work, or can you think of another cheap-o solution? (sub $50 would be nice)
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Have a couple of beers and don't worry about it. If the folks you have coming to your party are going to judge you on something as trivial as this, they should be crossed off your list of friends.
  3. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

I would call up the carpet guy who's delayed you and ask him for some business cards that you can pass out to your friends at the party in honor of his professionalism. :)
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

floor

Why are you getting down on the installer? You do not know what carpet was ordered or if it was a special order. Put the rugs on the floor. If they would look good with a painted floor, they should cover enough of the bad floor to not make it a problem.
  5. alexjag33

alexjag33 New Member

Problem Solved

Looks like the problem has solved itself. The carpeter is now coming on Friday. Yippee.