Coupling PVC and Hubless Iron DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I have to replace/reroute a vertical waste (3" hubless iron) stack (3 story condo) as the origional builder did not route it properly (or support it properly) taking needed space in the wet wall (want to install recessed cabinet in that position.

It is SCH 40 PCV in the slab with PVC couplings above the ceiling and the actual pipe is cast iron hubless. Are there specialty PCV fittings that need to be used with the hubless pipe? It presently has a cleanout (PVC) at the base that actually juts out from the wall. I need to turn that cleanout ninety degrees (if allowed) to have a flat wall and still be accessible to snake. Is this permissable as long as an access door (18") is available allowing the cap to be removed within the wall and a snake inserted?

I want to have all the parts handy before I cut.

Thank You Gentlemen...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consult with the condo board and property management on this one before doing anything.

Quite frequently a licensed plumber is required on projects of this nature.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

PVC under the floor and castiron in the walls is somewhat unusual and is the reverse of the way it is usually done. It almost implies that this is a "fire rated building" and if so you may not be permitted to use PVC for your revision. IN ADDITION, that 3" line could be the drain from the upper levels and if so your "rerouting" around the medicine cabinet could create a problem.

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I would consult with the condo board and property management on this one before doing anything.

Quite frequently a licensed plumber is required on projects of this nature.

PVC under the floor and castiron in the walls is somewhat unusual and is the reverse of the way it is usually done. It almost implies that this is a "fire rated building" and if so you may not be permitted to use PVC for your revision.

IN ADDITION, that 3" line could be the drain from the upper levels and if so your "rerouting" around the medicine cabinet could create a problem.

I appreciate both of your concerns-

This is a fire rated building (three story). All other waste (and vent) is PVC. From reading TECH MATERIAL from CHARLOTTE PIPE, I believe the purpose of the cast iron waste is sound suppression. Every other drain in the condo can be heard through the walls.

This is one of those low income buildings and the construction was very shoddy. She bought into one (one hell of a deal) and her first question was wood floors and new kitchen cabinets.

This is when I began discovering what truly poor workmanship went into this building. The wall in question had a bulge and the cleanout trap cap showed through the drywall. Upon opening the wall, whoever did the rough-ins was not very concise. The waste is not in align with the vent (3"). To make the wall flat, I need to straighten the waste (I will supply photos later) and construct a custom wet wall.

I believe I am going to replace the waste pipe with PVC and use Quiet Rock on the wet wall(s) to suppress the sound. The builder has CHL hubless cast iron waste intermingled with PVC. There is (was) no support of the vertical stack that I see. Of course I will put riser clamps on the new pipe and support the stack when I cut it.

I will get back with photos.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks