Coupler vs Coupler

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
I'm replacing some galvanized 2" drain/vent. Comparing these two types of couplers, is there a time I shouldn't use one over the other? When piecing last bits together it is not possible to use the one with the rib on the inside mid section. Seems like it wouldn't be a problem on the vents. Is that true? And what about elsewhere?

Thanks, Clark
611918018522sm.jpg611918018256sm.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Technically the one on the right is only for use underground and in some areas, such as here, underground outside the building only. You "roll" the left one back on itself after to place it on the pipe on one side of the connection, then "flip" it back on to the other side after the pipes are lined up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are code restrictions on when and where you can use those two types of couplers: you are required to use the one with the banded reinforcement above ground. The unbanded one can only be used underground where the pipe will be supported by the backfill. The reason is without the banding, above ground, it is likely the pipes would become misaligned...the band prevents that. Underground, it is assumed that you'd backfill it properly which will keep them aligned.

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
Well I got my chance to use these connectors. I just wanted to make a comment here for any other folks passing by that may also be new to using these. In a previous post HJ says,
You "roll" the left one back on itself after to place it on the pipe on one side of the connection, then "flip" it back on to the other side after the pipes are lined up.

Well I tried this and had a bit of an unsatisfactory result. But I played with it a bit and found you can really roll this back pretty well and make it work just fine. I took care to spend an extra few seconds to roll it over, and then play it carefully down and down and down, until I got it just where I wanted it. A nice and tight roll down all the way. Worked great. Once you get the pipes aligned and in place you roll it back and slide the metal covering back over the rubber sleeve. Tighten it up and all is well.

Many Thanks for the advice.

-Clark

Attachments

• ~Fernco type no-hub IMG_0815 copy.jpg
    ~Fernco type no-hub IMG_0815 copy.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 201
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks