Countertop guys screwed up sink install!

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Countertop installation crew in our new kitchen yesterday, installed quartz countertops.

Everything OK except for the undermount sink. Completely skewed, WAY different-size border on all four edges. My wife did not notice it until this morning.

We are calling the company this morning. I know that they are expoxied in: can anything be done?

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Well, it just got worse.

The sink appears to be supported by scrap pieces of 1" x 3", two in the back, two on each side, one in the front. They're all mounted at an angle, the top part against the underside of the sink rim, the bottom part screwed into the particle board cabinet base with one drywall screw.

This can't be correct!!!!!!!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Too soon to panic. Give the installer time to inspect the problem and fix it. If he won't, then it will be time to take other steps. I think the first thing I'd do if the original installer refuses to take action, is to call in a couple of other companies to offer their opinions. Might have to pay them, but that would give you some leverage.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well, it just got worse.

The sink appears to be supported by scrap pieces of 1" x 3", two in the back, two on each side, one in the front. They're all mounted at an angle, the top part against the underside of the sink rim, the bottom part screwed into the particle board cabinet base with one drywall screw.

This can't be correct!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to see something like that to help hold the bowl in place. Too many times there is nothing supporting it, and the sink falls off the countertop.

oldberkeley

Reaction score
I prefer to see something like that to help hold the bowl in place. Too many times there is nothing supporting it, and the sink falls off the countertop.
Terry- I hear what you're saying, but I'm used to seeing holes drilled into the bottom of the countertop, screw posts epoxied in, clips & nuts installed.

If you saw this you'd be shaking your head. Just looks like amateur hack work, and this is a large, supposedly reputable granite & stone company.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those supports may now be redundant...essentially just used to hold the sink in place while the epoxy setup. While harder to do, they may be able to use a diamond bit router to shape the hole to the sink's position. It's much harder to polish the edges while in place than at the shop, but doable.

My granite fabricator mills T-slot holes in the bottom of the slab that are used to hold the sink in place, and sealant between the sink and the counter. This method should give you some flexibility to get it just right, but even a 5-minute epoxy, you still have a moment to try to center things.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's some bad work going on around here also. It's not epidemic, but there are a few outfits that are coming up short on the quality of their sink installations. They are taking little squares of paneling and hot-gluing them to the underside of the sink/granite juncture, expecting that to last forever.

A couple of years down the road when the scanty silicone application around the top of the sink starts letting water through, the little squares of paneling get wet, delaminate, and the sink falls down.

Not my favorite service call.

JerryR

Reaction score
I had similar issue last year with 2 undercounted porcelain sinks installed in new bathroom Granite. A picture to the owner and the next day a crew came out and fixed it. They were installed using clips and a bead of high grade silicone along the top of the sink rim.

The crew used a utility knife to break the silicone seal all around after removing the clips. Cleaned it all off and reattached perfectly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks