Could you helpful people stand one more simple question??

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Giles, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

I have a HAVC inside blower motor and housing that I would like to install as a vent fan for my shop. The wireing diagram states that the motor is 208-240v . Black wire is High speed and the Red wire is Low speed.
    There is also a Yellow wire that is labeled Common.
    Am I correct in thinking that one of the wires, Red or Black, would be connected to one hot wire and the Yellow would be connected to the other Hot wire??
    Would I connect the Neutral to the motor housing? There is a small green wire connecting the motor to the housing.
    Please correct me if I am wrong and suggest the proper way to hook this blower up.:confused:
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There is NO neutral connection. The green wire is the ground which connects to the bare wire in you supply wire. Yellow/red is low speed, yellow/black is high speed.
  3. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

hj--I still don't understand where the neutral wire would be connected. The green wire is only a jumper to cnnect the motor to the housing.
    I would really like to get this set up but I want to do it right.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There is NO neutral wire on a 240 volt circuit. If you have a neutral, you have a 120/240 such as an old stove or dryer circuit, and maybe you do not have a ground there . proceed with caution..