Could Not Tighten Shower Drain Nut W/Wrench....??

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by molo, Aug 25, 2012.

1. molo

molo Member

The Story:
    We were installing a 48" shower stall over a tight crawl space. We set it in mortar before placing the shower drain kit into the base.

We had to install the drain kit after the base was installed. There was limited access to tighten the nut that tightens the rubber washer to the base of the shower.

What I did was placed a thick bead of silicone around the drain opening and set the drain piece into the silicone. I was then able to get below the shower and hand tighten the nut up to the bottom of the shower (but could not put a wrench on it).

The shower is in a solid bed of mortar. My question is will this silicone/hand tighten method work?

Thanks,
    Bill

Edit: I know this sounds like a goofy thing to have done (and it was), but we needed the mortar to set up for the following day and could not get to a store for the drain kit. Finally, we thought we would be able to get a wrench on the nut after it was installed, but the wrench we had did not fit. So, the rest of the subfloor was installed after it was hand-tightened.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The best answer we could give is "maybe".

The drain should have been installed before the pan was set.