Cost to Remodel 7 Ft x 8 Ft Hallway Bathroom (410 Cu Ft) -- only $22,000

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
I talked to a Bathroom Design/Remodeling business who verbally estimated $20,000 to $22,000 to gut and remodel my Hall Bathroom. Seemed very pricey to me, but they said that would be the cost for all businesses who have a team of craftsmen and a showroom operation like theirs. The good news is, they declined to make a proposal on my project.....said they were not interested in my project after I listed the following items I wanted:

1) Kohler Bellwether Cast Iron Tub 60in x 32in; Seasalt Color
2) KOHLER Escale Pedestal Bathroom Sink Combo in White
3) Toilet: Toto Drake II (model CST454CEFG 2 piece) with CEFIONTECT and Cyclone rinse; Cotton White
4) New Door & Hardware: Solid Panel Door (Width = 28 inches)
5) Fan/Light: Panasonic FV-11VQL5 WhisperLite
6) Delta Faucets for Sink and Tub/Shower
7) Porcelain Floor Tile & Ceramic Wall Tile from “The Tile Shopâ€

Any thoughts out there?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Big city like Dayton, I am sure you have hundreds of contractors available to get bids from. It all
seems pretty standard to me. Maybe the outfit you talked to prefers to go for the $1,500.00 faucet jobs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You won't have trouble finding someone to install all that for less, that want's the job.
We're just talking one room.

Most of the work, is just getting the parts list together, and you've done that.

boardable

Reaction score
22000 seems a bit high but it depends on what you want. I usually am about 13k fora 5x8 bathroom and that includes full gut, some moldy 2x4's and possibly some floor boards, Heated floors, mid line fixtures aka shower and diverter such as a delta up to 300.00. Kerdi system, tile priced at 8 a square foot for wall and 10 for shower floors and about 2 per sq ft for bathroom floor with electro radiant heat. Standard 200.00 toilet. All new blue board, texture and paint. New wood moulding etc. standard framed shower glass.vanity up to 600.00. including top. Some people want a little more fancy some don't. profit on this job would be 5k for me. I do my own tile infastructure etc but sub the demo and sheet rock work out. 22k would be a very very nice bathroom if I built it. Just imagine an extra 4k in labor and 4 k in product. That would be one top of the line bathroom.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I do believe I can find a very good contractor for a lot less. I got that $20K-$22K number form this contractor after I told him I thought the job would cost between $10K to $15K. Gee....all my parts are only $4-5K at the most.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I talked to a Bathroom Design/Remodeling business who verbally estimated $20,000 to $22,000 to gut and remodel my Hall Bathroom. Seemed very pricey to me, but they said that would be the cost for all businesses who have a team of craftsmen and a showroom operation like theirs. The good news is, they declined to make a proposal on my project.....said they were not interested in my project after I listed the following items I wanted:

1) Kohler Bellwether Cast Iron Tub 60in x 32in; Seasalt Color
2) KOHLER Escale Pedestal Bathroom Sink Combo in White
3) Toilet: Toto Drake II (model CST454CEFG 2 piece) with CEFIONTECT and Cyclone rinse; Cotton White
4) New Door & Hardware: Solid Panel Door (Width = 28 inches)
5) Fan/Light: Panasonic FV-11VQL5 WhisperLite
6) Delta Faucets for Sink and Tub/Shower
7) Porcelain Floor Tile & Ceramic Wall Tile from “The Tile Shop”

Any thoughts out there?

That's about $400 per square foot. That sounds like a fair quote to me. Many of the jobs we work on fall in the $300- $800 per square foot price range.

Make sure you specify to the crew that all work should conform to the latest edition of the TCNA Specification Guidelines. This way if you have a problem with your tile installation you have leverage to get it fixed right.

Good Luck.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Shouldn't that be the NTCA? The list of items you wanted was NOT why they did not give you a proposal. Something in your attitude probably turned them off. sometimes the "fixtures" are the cheapest part of the job. The final cost depends on a lot of factors, some not apparent until the room is taken apart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Okay, I thought it was the National Tile Contractors Association, but whatever it is, the general contractor might subscribe to their standards, but it would have no application to my work.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I do believe I can find a very good contractor for a lot less. I got that $20K-$22K number form this contractor after I told him I thought the job would cost between $10K to $15K. Gee....all my parts are only $4-5K at the most.

I hope the other fellow does a nice job for you for the reduced price. As a contractor "Red Flags" go off in my mind when a client or potential client tells me what the job should be. I would recommend you ask this question of the men or women working for instead of telling them. You might find that the "Air" around the job site is fresher this way.

I build bathrooms for a living. I do mostly waterproofing. I quote jobs and tell people what I charge. I do not work for less and do not allow my clients to specify the project. Sometimes a crew will give you exactly what you want. If you want your job done for half price they might just give you have the job. Or half the steps.

Ensure that the job is done properly and insist on a flood test of that new shower. I can bet the time envolved in doing this is not in the job price at a lower number.

JW

Reaction score
Website
www.diytileguy.com
I agree with the other guys that the original company probably got the feeling that you weren't their ideal client.

Personally, I like a client that does his research ahead of time and knows what he wants. I don't see any harm in you selecting the toilet, tile, etc. that you want for your bathroom. Don't you have to select that stuff at some point anyway? Why do you have to get stuck with whatever the contractor specs? It's your bathroom, I think you should get what you want in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks