Cost to move toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by nycbath, May 8, 2010.

1. nycbath

nycbath New Member

I'm renovating a 1st floor bathroom (92"x54") in a prewar building in manhattan. Any ideas how much it would cost to move the toilet from one side of the bathroom to the other (85"+)? It's a gut reno on the bathroom - all new tile, electrical, vanity, etc but debating on moving the tub and/or toilet because not sure of the added cost to do so and if will outweigh just leaving them there. I realize there are a ton of variables but just a rough idea - if more info is needed to answer please let me know. Pictures depict existing and one iteration for the renovation. The "toilet move" version would have it near the window and the tub on the opposite wall. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

No way to tell without more info...do you have access underneath or would you have to tear the subflooring off? Is the floor wooden with joists, or poured concrete? Which way do the joists run? Which direction do the drain lines run now? WHere is the waste stack? Are you tearing out the wall covering, too? You need to relocate the drains, vents, and water supply lines. It could get quite expensive, and impossible without access from below. Access from below may involve a neighbor, tearing out the ceiling, and redoing that - which you may never get access to or come to an agreement on timing, or price. Some places require the drains to be in cast iron - this will boost the price considerably. So, plan on it being expensive, but you may be pleasantly surprised. You'll want to get at least a couple of quotes, then you'll know. I spent about $1500 relocating a toilet and tub, then replumbing a vanity in a small bath where they had access to the drains (the subflooring was torn off). It could have been a lot more. In NYC, I'd expect it to be more.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The way I see the drawing, you are moving the BATHTUB and the toilet is staying where it was.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

One more problem is the slope of the drain. Will there be enough space under the floor to run it 7 feet and maintain the slope? This is not a DIY job for a novice.