Cost of Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

pippincat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member and I will admit I know NOTHING about plumbing. I do know that my water heater was leaking a considerable amount of water. The sad part is that it is only 7 1/2 years old. My plumber is saying that it will cost $1041 to purchase and install a 50 gallon electric water heater that has a 6 year warranty. I have no idea if that is a reasonable price. I search the internet and found water heaters at lowes with higher warranty for about $400. Is installation really that expensive? The plumber says that the installation is higher due to city requirements including inspection by building inspector. Please help. Am I being taken to the cleaners?:confused: Thanks for your help!!!!

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does sound a little high, but let's go over a few things...

License , insurence , permit ,gas , labor warrenty , delivery & removal , Is it acessible ? Stairs ? What else is he doing besides a water heater? Valves,etc?

These are all factors. Maybe you should call 1 or 2 other companies a get a price .

Also ,,, is he avalable RIGHT NOW for you ? That's worth a lot !

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
By far I'm the cheapest plumber on this board... and probably the one with the youngest business...and probably the one who needs business the most...and probably the least insurance and overhead. For me to get that much it would really have to be in a heck of a location and I'd have to be travelling a long ways. Too, I've yet to install a water heater that has to be inspected. It depends ALOT on where you are. Around here that job would run about $650... the big service companies would get about $850. The inspection might add an hour or two labor/time on the job because of having to go get a permit and/or hang around for the inspection. So... maybe the guy is in the ball park for your area but I'd either offer him $800 -$850 or call for a second price. However, if that is the price to replace a gas WH with an electric WH that's a good price.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Most heater installations are SUPPOSED to be inspected, but I have only done it about a half dozen times in 55+ years. Having it inspected, with the cost of the permit and time to get it can add considerably to the installation cost. The heater's physical location can also be such that it no longer qualifies as the "standard installation" which Home Depot and othes post on the side of their water heaters.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What part othe country do you live in? Boston, LA, Chicago, Ect or podunk nowhere or in between.

It is hard to tell what the going rate is in your area without knowing where you live.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here in San Diego, the home stores will charge about $290 labor to deliver, install, and haul away. If shut off valve is bad, that's extra. If TP discharge is not piped per code, that's extra. Etc. Permit is about $90. The installer will call in the permit, and the homeowner has the responsibility to call for an inspection within 2 weeks.

pippincat

Reaction score
Thanks for responses

To answer all the questions. The water heater is in the garage, easy access. Replacing electric with electric. I live in a small town suburb of Dallas, Texas. The plumber said this price includes all valves etc replaced and the inspection. It also includes a completely covered 5 year warranty in addition to 6 year manufacturer warranty. You are correct that being available is important. We have been without hot water since New Years Eve.

Thanks all for your help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
this is why they want a permit

Folgers.JPG

Cookie

Reaction score
Just curious, what exactly is wrong with the picture? I assume many things.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
the extension pipe

the coffe can that they used to make the jump
from the heater to the flu pipe

should have been a Foldgers Can instead of a

Maxwell house...

the t+p valve should have a pipe takeing it down to the floor....

but it has worked just find for decades...

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/galleryi/

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
plumbing drain work in Kentucky

IMG_2374.JPG

cookie , can you figure out what might be wrong with this plumbing system???

I think that they should have used a heavier duty bailing wire to hold that funnel in place......LOL

The duct tape looks a litttle sloppy too....

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Re: the first pic...
At least they remembered to use dielectric unions...LOL

Funnel looks like a redneck trap primer distribution cup....
Only problem is they forgot the air gap..LMAO

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks Marks30,

I had a reason or asking, I better get something checked on mine.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The T&P valve has to be piped to within 6" of the floor (or ground) or to an approved drain so as to contain the boiling water whould it be activated (or at least direct it at the floor so that it is not sprayed around).
If the T&P valve is not piped, the discharge would not be controlled and anyone/anything around it would get soaked with boiling water should the heater malfunction and the heat/pressure get above certain limits (limits are set by the manufacturer and are not adjustable - they are built into the valve....)

Check out the videos of what can happen if the heater overheats and the T&P valve malfunctions or is blocked...(heater goes BOOM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Wrm-Ns0I

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
master plumber mark said:
cookie , can you figure out what might be wrong with this plumbing system???

I think that they should have used a heavier duty bailing wire to hold that funnel in place......LOL

The duct tape looks a litttle sloppy too....

That's the last time I ever invite you over my house for a beer, showing off my basement.

You and your damn cellphone camera is getting a little out of hand these days...

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
more for Cookie

Cookie, i am glad you are here to ask these questions which bring out the answers that we all need at one time or another.

Just to give you a little more info: back in that first photo, you'll see a flimsy toggle-like nobbie, attached to the top of the unpiped pressure release valve. That little thingie is where the manufacturer attached a yellow card describing in fine print things that I have never gotten around to reading. But here is the big info: that thing is a little LEVER, believe it or not. You pull up a bit more than 1/2" (you begin to feel it is no longer hanging loosely in mid-air, it is pressing on something); its short end is now pressing down on the valve and can open it a bit. This is the way it is designed to work, so fear not. Pull up by another 1/8th" and it'll release a bit of hot water into the pipe. It'll sound like hot water rushing out under pressure, too. Try it. Put a jar under the pipe to catch the water.

Imagine how dangerous that can be once kids understand how it works. Without any pipe to hold the flow back.

david

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
pippincat said:
To answer all the questions. The water heater is in the garage, easy access. Replacing electric with electric. I live in a small town suburb of Dallas, Texas. The plumber said this price includes all valves etc replaced and the inspection. It also includes a completely covered 5 year warranty in addition to 6 year manufacturer warranty. You are correct that being available is important. We have been without hot water since New Years Eve.

Thanks all for your help.
You will never get anything from the plumber for that extra 5 year warranty.

Talk to Lowes or HD about what they will charge for it all. Then negotiate with plumbers that have smaller ads in the yellow pages.

This is a job that a homeowner can do in 2 to 4 hours. If you don't have a helper in the house, have a party with a case of beer and some food.

If homeowners develop maintenance skills they can save $1000 per year on this sort of thing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second Bob NH's comments. There are several good DIY books available that will give you the basics of common home repair jobs which with a few basic tools will allow you to save money. Professionals have overhead which means even a simple task like a water heat replacement will be quite expensive. Just how expensive depends on your local prevailing wage structure, the individual installer, and unforseen problems that might require more time and materials than first thought. Every homeowner should learn to do basic repairs.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IMHO....That $1041 price basically doubles the labor charge....that's what he's charging for a 5 year warranty for his installation/work.

Deandome

Reaction score
I put in my first HWH about 4 weeks ago...

Getting it in the house/basement & the other one out was the only challenge, and that's cuz I only had my wife as a helpler.

But I am pretty adept at sweating copper...I've worked w/black iron gas pipe...I knew what I was doing, so it's hard to tell someone else how easy it is!

But that seems like a VERY high price!! Like others have said, HD charges $300 for installation, the unit is $300-450 (depending on size, gas/electric), and I saw some kinda special on WHs in todays newspaper insert!

ALSO....warranties are basically carap ...they're the SAME units, the diff. in warranties is really just insurance....EXPENSIVE insurance (and they don't replace them cheerfully/easily!). But I dunno 'bout the GE HD models (they're made by Rheem, I believe). That's cuz the most expensive ($450ish?) 50gal gas model has only a 40K btu burner (cheaper ones have 30K). I got an American Water Heater w/50K btu for $285 (less 'warranty', but again, who cares!).

Then again, I have an acct. at a local plumbing shop (the big kind w/a showroom where civilians & pros can shop/buy) when I invented an imaginary remodeling company when I redid a bathroom many years ago :D They never asked for anything 'official' like a tax ID # ...I whipped up some Bus. cards on the computer and VOILA...I owned my own company & was entitled to the significant 'trade' discount that professionals enjoy!!

But I would NEVER reccomend anyone try that...no...not me!;) ;)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks