Corrosivity, Ryznar Index

Users who are viewing this thread

mccabegc

Reaction score
I am not sure if this falls under the softening category of not so I didn't want to lump it in my previous post. My recent lab results have this listed as 8.3 S.U.

I am having a hard time finding info on dealing with corrosive conditions.

Any advice would be great!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably pH neutralization. Calcite and maybe corosex. What is the pH? Hardness? If you do a search for calcite corosex , you will find information. I would search this forum as well as in a search engine. Those add hardness, so the softener will see increased hardness to deal with following calcite. A backwashing treatment tank is better than the calcite tanks without a controller.

There is also the possiblity of using an injection pump for neutralizing.

A local provider is probably practiced with treating your local water. Have you compared notes with the neighbors?

You want to avoid having metal pipes facing your un-neutralized water.

Last edited:

mccabegc

Reaction score
Probably pH neutralization. Calcite and maybe corosex. What is the pH? Hardness? If you do a search for calcite corosex , you will find information.

A local provider is probably practiced with treating your local water.

Also, you don't want metal pipes facing your un-neutralized water.

pH is 7.7
Hardness 80.6 mg/l - 4.7gpg
Calcium 29.3 mg/l
Magnesium 1.8 mg/l
Manganese .099 mg/l
Conductivity 190 micromhos/cm

I will do a search as you suggested to see what I come up with.

Thank You

Reach4

Reaction score
pH is 7.7
Hardness 80.6 mg/l - 4.7gpg
Calcium 29.3 mg/l
Magnesium 1.8 mg/l
Manganese .099 mg/l
Conductivity 190 micromhos/cm

I will do a search as you suggested to see what I come up with.
I take it back. I was not expecting a 7.7 pH. Forget what I said about the calcite.

http://www.lenntech.com/calculators/ryznar/index/ryznar.htm

Man, I had not checked out such a calculator. It is surprising what effect water temperature has on that calculator. It does not feel right that raising water temperature would make it less corrosive. I am confused more than usual.

Micromhos/cm is the same as microS/cm.

Last edited:

mccabegc

Reaction score
That was my first thought. When I first paged through the report yesterday, I thought I was in good shape, mildly hard water,and some odors. Add a softener and some in line filters for light odors and I'd be good to go. Last night I took a closer look and found that number.

Reach4

Reaction score
I plugged these numbers into that calculator, and got the matching corrosivity numbers from my report.
20C (somewhat arbitrary choice).
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3) (why not carbonate? Dunno.)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3)
pH
TDS​

Have you seen any pipe problems? Do you have copper or steel pipe? I don't know what the level of concern should be. If there was a lot of reason to be concerned, I think there would be more discussion on this.

mccabegc

Reaction score
Copper throughout the house. No leaks, that I have seen. I agree, I am not sure what my level of concern should be.

I think I will continue with my plan for a softener and in line filters and monitor this in a future test. Why? Because I do not know what else to do at this point lol.

I appreciate your help and will report back if I happen to find any more info on this topic.

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess one action item is to let the water run for a while before getting drinking water. This would be to let copper dissolved overnight get washed through. One test would be to test the first water in the morning.

https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/lead-and-copper-rule

Type M copper (red ink) is thinner than type L (blue) or K (green).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks