Corrosion on Dielectric Union of Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

DGibbs

Reaction score
We are selling our home and we received this report from the home inspector.

The home is equipped with two, gas fired, 50 gallon, State brand water heaters original to the home. We noted all four dielectric unions were corroded and show indication of previous leakages. We recommend the union be replaced, this may entail replacement of the water heaters themselves do to the extent of the corrosion. We also noted previous water leakage at the water shut-off valve on the left water heater and recommend the valve be replaced.

Is there a way to replace these four dielectric unions without replacing the entire water heaters?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to say without seeing it. If the unions are severly corroded, it may not be possible to remove it from the water heater without damage, although a plumber can probably do it.
Valve replacement is straightforwars. How old are they WH?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes you can replace them.
I've done it before, but no guarantee when things get old. If it works, fine. If not, then oh well, it would have been needed anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The dielectric unions are NOT part of the water heater, so they should just unscrew so new ones can be installed. My personal feeling is that they are strictly cosmetic to make inspectors happy, and do nothing to prevent electroysis. I would reconnect the water lines differently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks