Corroded threading help

Users who are viewing this thread

pocoloco

Reaction score
The threading on my cold supply line (galvanized) under the sink has partially corroded away. I can still screw on the shutoff valve but it leaks. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

pocoloco

Reaction score
So are you saying replace the entire pipe coming out of the wall with a brass nipple? Would I need to open the walls up, or would I just unscrew the existing pipe that's coming out of the wall and then stick the brass nipple into the wall and screw it on? Sorry if I'm being so elementary... I consider myself handy but plumbing is obviously not my forte. Thanks

pocoloco

Reaction score
When you say repipe, do you mean replace all the pipes in the walls? From where to where? Are you suggesting an entire house replumb?

TedL

Reaction score
The long term solution is to get rid of all the galvanized, as suggested above.

The short term solution is to replace the one defective part, the nipple. At this point, upgrading the replacement to brass seems a waste, but perhaps there's a reason for it.

You should not need to open the wall to do it. If the wall is caulked or plastered to the pipe, merely remove 1/8" or less of the material. Use tape and dope on the new nipple to ensure no leak in the hidden location.

pocoloco

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for putting up with my novice questions. It's all very clear now.

I will unscrew the old pipe from the fitting in the wall and screw on a new nipple with tape + dope (Rectorseal 5 pipe sealant is what I have).

Just a few more stupid questions...

1. Do I put tape on first, then the dope?
2. What type of wrench/tool should I use to screw on the nipple?
3. I'm nervous that it will now leak in the wall. Am I being paranoid or should I rest assured it will be fine given I follow the steps above?

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is what a pipe wrench is designed to do. You may get it loose with some big pliers. If there's not enough sticking out to grab with a wrench on the outside, they do make an internal pipe wrench - it has a cam on it that tightens against the inside as you use a wrench on the shaft.

Yes, it could break off inside. Probably won't, but you never know.

Tape, then dope, if you're using both.

TedL

Reaction score
If you don't have a pipe wrench, a vise grip may work if it will give you enough leverage.

Since it's inside a sink base or behind an escutcheon plate (or both), you can cut away 1/4" to 1/2" of the wall at the bottom of the nipple, and after a day inspect with a flashlight or probe with a Q-tip for water drops where the nipple meets the elbow inside the wall. You should then be able to sleep easy. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks