Corroded Fleck 9000 Valve Body

Users who are viewing this thread

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
How much corrosion on a fleck 9000 valve body is too much? Im specifically asking about the middle 'divider' in the lower valve body. I have a bit on mine, but wanted to know if I can get away with it as is with a piston/seal kit.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to clean it up with a very fine emery or rouge cloth on any surface in contact with a moving seal or piston. If it's worse than that type of cleanup can handle, it may be too far gone. If it's just cosmetic and doesn't affect any seal, don't worry about it. You might be able to buy just the body as a replacement part.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The Fleck 9000 Service Manual, shows a piston, seal and spacer design similar to that used in the 5600 models. As such, the movable pistons will travel within and seal against the seal center opening. I suspect the dividers provide a less critical sealing surface limited to the flexible non-movable outer seal's contact with each divider. As Mikey suggested, perhaps some fine emery cloth would remove some minor corrosion but I would expect there to be little corrosion where the seal is in constant contact.

http://www.fleckvalves.com/images/pdfs/9000Manual.pdf

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
Its just on the bottom valve on that center divider. But, I understand all of the sealing is primarily done between the seal and the piston, so even if that center divider is eaten away a little, its not going to affect anything. There is not enough gone to interfere with the operating of the seals to the piston. So, Im going to try some emory cloth and see if I can clean it up, get some new valves and pistons, and a new drive motor, and go with it.

Thanks, all!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That is a common problem on the 9000. If it is bad, the system will have problems. The best solution is to simply replace the valve with the 9100. It is virtually identical except the valve body is plastic instead of brass. They share the powerhead, internals, injection systems etc. I have yet to ever have to replace a 9100 body, the 9000 on the other hand is a common replacement. The valve bodies tend to be 10+ years old before they need replacing, so not too bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks