Correct wiring of GFCI Breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Some time ago, a friend gave me some circuit breakers. One in question is a SIEMONS QPF 120.
On the side of the breaker, the attached ground wire is marked "Panel Neutral". Then just above this , is a terminal marked "Load Neutral". The other terminal is not marked but has white paint above it.
The breaker still had short wires attached and the hot was connected to the white marked terminal.
I think the neutral should be hooked to the white marked terminal as this is how I have done it before.
How should this be hooked up?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are three bus bars in the panel (well, you could say 4, but I'm considering power as only one): power, neutral, and ground. Neutral and ground are bonded together in the main panel. The cable to the load would run its ground to the normal ground bus. Its neutral needs to go to the load terminal on the GFCI breaker. Then, you need a jumper lead to go from the GFCI line neutral to the neutral bus bar. The GFCI needs a connection to both the line's hot and neutral. Then load hot would go to the load connection on the GFCI.

Giles

Reaction score
There are three bus bars in the panel (well, you could say 4, but I'm considering power as only one): power, neutral, and ground. Neutral and ground are bonded together in the main panel. The cable to the load would run its ground to the normal ground bus. Its neutral needs to go to the load terminal on the GFCI breaker. Then, you need a jumper lead to go from the GFCI line neutral to the neutral bus bar. The GFCI needs a connection to both the line's hot and neutral. Then load hot would go to the load connection on the GFCI.

THANKS---Load connection is not marked. The WHITE marking on the other terminal is where I am confused. Do some GFCI have line connected to a white marked terminal?
I am sure there is something simple that my brain can't grasp.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
Just connect the white neutral to the terminal labeled "Load Neutral". That will only leave the other terminal for the load hot.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The load hot (black) would normally go on the outside (end) terminal. The spec sheet is probably on the Siemens website.

Giles

Reaction score
The load hot (black) would normally go on the outside (end) terminal. The spec sheet is probably on the Siemens website.

There is only two terminals on the "end" and each is on the "outside".
I have done an extensive search for a spec. sheet. I have found very little.
I am sure the paperwork that came with the breaker, when new, gave instructions.
Strange that I can't even find that.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
they both would need to be for the neutral and hot. The neutral from the GFCI to the neutral bar may be captive with the breaker itself. So, the incoming cable would have its neutral and hot connected to the breaker, and the ground to the ground bar. Then, the neutral from the breaker would go to the neutral bar.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think the neutral should be hooked to the white marked terminal as this is how I have done it before.

Yes. Silver, slotted screw is the neutral.

Brass screw = hot.

White pigtail to neutral bus.

Giles

Reaction score
I installed the breaker and the terminal marked, with what appears to be factory applied white paint, is the HOT. The paint is what had me concerned.
Why was the HOT terminal marked with white paint and it is basically the same color screw?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks