Correct DWV design?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbrevik

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am trying to come up with a design for the DWV system and could use some feedback. I plan on taking the proposal to the city building inspector before I start putting it together, but my experience so far is that they rubber stamp everything I show them. I want to make sure I do it correctly, regardless of what they say.

I have included a crude isometric drawing of the plumbing. I have also included a plan view of the bathroom and kitchen layout to help make sense of the iso. I haven't put much thought into the exact fittings yet. At this point it would be good to make I have everything vented properly.

In the plan view I show a few rough estimates for the distances between fixtures and vents, to gauge whether they are within the max trap to vent distance.

I have baselined an AAV for the kitchen sink and dishwasher, although I would prefer not to. The sink is moving to a 2x4 stud wall, so I can't run the vent or drain through the wall. Any suggestions there?

How does it look?

Attachments

• plumbing_iso_v2.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 364
  • layout_plumbing_v3_simple.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 313

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are going to have to sort out the conections to the 3" stack. The fixture has to be individually vented or the drain connections to the stack have to be made at the same level, or any combination thereof. (One drain cannot be connected below another, unless it is revented).

I am also not clear on why you would not properly vent the kitchen. Most homes in the U.S. are of 2x4 construction, so that is not an issue. The vent goes up and can either be tied into other vents or penetrate the roof on its own.

jbrevik

Reaction score
Thank you for the response... I just now checked back in and saw it.

Yes, I definitely need to sort out the 3" stack connection. I have made a few design changes and will repost them ASAP. I will put some more thought into the connection and detail that as well.

I went into the permit office and ran some things by them. They gave me the thumbs up on the AAV and said it would save a lot of work. I have alternative design with a island sink drain/vent, but I'm not sure I'll go that route unless a convincing argument can be made against it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks