corporate coupling/water meter problems/broken pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

MrChaos

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a corporate coupling?

Last night my water meter broke off where it enters the basement through the concrete floor. The main line is 1/2 copper coming from the citys main shut off valve in the street.

I had a plumber in today to have a look and give me an estimate on what it would cost to fix it. I quoted around $700 CAD to break out the concrete and put in a corporate coupling and a new valve.

I have no fear of doing the job myself I just want to ensure I get the right parts to fix it. Do I need a special type of piping since it will be burried in concrete?

Steve

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I've never heard of a corporate coupler, but maybe that's going to be the trivia I learn today. Gosh, 1/2" seems to be awfully small for the main water supply line, but I guess you know what you have. Why can you just solder a new ball valve on and go from there? Personally, I would never bury a water line in concrete. Sooner or later there will be leak. There is a constant barrage of questions about how to fix a leak in a concrete slab, and the answer is never cheap or easy. If you could post a picture it might help understand better just what you're up against. Corporate coupler????:confused:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Here in Michigan where I live, the valve at the water main is called a (corporation cock). And you need whats called a street key to shut off the water because our water service is at least 4 ft below grade.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
settln1.jpg

The corporation stop is the term applied usually to the connection at the water main, and possibly also to the valve at the "corporation" side of the meter. The corp. coupler is probably something in that area. They are usually special parts. see www.fordmeterbox.com

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChaos

Reaction score
Turns out my gf's neighbour is a plumber. He quoted me today around 3-4 hours of labour @ $55/hr. Said its not the first time he has seen it and can fix it no problem.

I think the first guy I had out was full of it.

It is definitely 1/2 coming right trough the slab.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
break

If the break is ahead of the water meter it is usually the water company's job to maintain it. And some get very upset, (it's a $15,000.00 fine here), if someone else works on it because it would be very easy to decide to put a tee in at the same time and get some free water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks