corner shelf in shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Wallace 49, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Wallace 49

Wallace 49 New Member

I'm using 6 inch white tile on my shower walls over my new tub. Does anyone have an opinion about using ceramic corner shelves? Do they become elbow or head bangers? Which end of the shower stall should it be placed? Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shelf

If you are going to use it for shower related items, it would go at the shower head end so you do not have to turn around or reach behind you. It would not normally be large enough to create a hazard.
  3. prashster

prashster New Member

Depends on the size of your shower. if it's less than 40ish" deep, then it might be an issue.

The 'in' thing to do is to make build a recessed niche into the wall. They have preformed recesses (search noble niche) that get cemented into a stud cavity. No hazard. Looks beautiful. They even have double level and arched ones that give a ledge for shampoos and a separate one for soap. Try not to place niche in direct line of spray.

Corner shelves can be placed on either inside corner.
  4. Wallace 49

Wallace 49 New Member

corner

A niche sounds cool to me. 30 inch tub. Thanks
  5. chassis

chassis Engineer

IMHO the shelves should go in the end of the tub opposite the water controls. Avoids the bar of soap getting unnecessarily dissolved by water spray.
  6. corain corners

in my own tub I have a corian shelf ....

they are basically triangles that simnply go into the corner and

you tile around them.... I have a fairley large one...it holds lots

of shampoos ect...

you can get them at any decent tile outlet....
    .much more durable than a china shelf.

If I had to do it again I would probably have put one

on both ends of the tub...