Copper vs CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Concerned

Reaction score
I have a very short question, but I will try to give as much background info as possible. We are renovating our home in north central Florida (winter temp can be in the low teens for a handful of nights a year and summer days can reach up to 140 degrees in some attics). The house was built in 1987 and is currently fitted with all copper piping. We are remodeling the house and decided to install an instant hot water heater. We received quotes from 3 different plumbers/gas installers and all of them said we should do an outside installation as opposed to an indoor installation. I think that was a mistake, but that is for a different thread.

Anyway, the plumber we eventually went with used CPVC. They really didn't ask us if we had a preference. They just did it. The CPVC was run to the outside water heater through the attic. The supply lines eventually run into the concrete slab in the kitchen. We need to move these lines a few inches (into the wall) in order to make the new range fit. The original copper lines stick up above the slab, outside of the wall; it seems when the house was originally framed, they either read the blueprint wrong or the framer missed his mark. We are essentially moving some pipes about 3" so that they are inside the wall where they come out of the slab. So they are using CPVC here also, which will be covered in concrete Monday, and our range and cabinets will placed on top of flooring (wood).

My unprofessional inclination would have been to just stick to one kind of piping in the house. Now it might be too late, but maybe not. There is still plenty more work to do (reconnecting sinks and stuff), and I can still decide on what goes in there, at the very minimum. But once the concrete is poured there is no going back.

Does anyone want to weigh in on whether we should switch back to copper or keep going with CPVC? My main concerns are: health reasons, fear of cracking due to weather, fear of releasing chemicals or breaking due to heat in the attic, fear of cracking under the concrete, fear of bad joints (copper to CPVC) leaking under the concrete in the kitchen.

I feel like we really messed up by not researching this earlier. We just sort of took the advice of our plumbers.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is biased opinion, but I wouldn't have anything except copper unless there were minerals in the water that destroyed copper. I understand there are places with water like that in Florida. My second choice would be PEX. I would avoid covering plumbing with concrete. Too many stories of leaks in slabs. Drains of course are under concrete, but they are not filled with pressurized water. If it was my home and it was possible, I'd covert to copper 100%. That's my bias and I'm sticking to it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is nothing wrong with CPVC, or copper.
If you are cutting out copper, and switching to plastic piping, make sure the electrical panel is grounded.
Copper pipe is bonded or grounded, so if I'm making changes, I call in an electrician to make sure that is up to code if I'm removing any copper.

Copper can't have any joints under concrete unless they are brazed. They don't allow soldered joints under a slab.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My main problem with the installation, as you tell it, would be having a connection between the CPVC and copper UNDER the concrete floor. The CPVC joint has to be "cemented/glued" and that makes it no better, and possibly worse, than a sweat joint which would not be permitted.

Concerned

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your responses.

Yes, hj, it is that transition point that really concerns me. The plumber used sharkbites to connect the copper to cpvc. I suppose I should know what material the sharkbites are made from, but I'm not sure at this moment. I'll have more information later today. Should the sharkbites under the slab be of concern?

Also, the new cpvc lines that are going to be running out of the slab are going to be in the wall directly behind where we are placing the range. Is the added heat from the range of concern?

And then, I'm not quite sure what to think about what adding cpvc is doing to the "value" of the house. Down here in Florida, it is considered a big deal if your house has all copper-piping. It is added value.

I should add that these guys are licensed and insured.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plastic pipe, generally will flow less volume than the equivalent copper pipe. The reason is that say 1/2" cpvc and 1/2" copper are the same OD, but the ID is significantly smaller because to obtain strength, the plastic pipe needs to have thicker walls. So, this might be an issue all in itself.

I'm not sure Acme would approve of a Sharkbite being embedded in concrete. It is approved for permanent hidden locations, but I'm not sure this is one of them. Much better, and cheaper, is a soldered adapter to the cpvc, but solder can't be used underground, and I'm not sure the cpvc component would survive the higher heat of brazing on the end of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks