Copper Threaded Adapter Leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mr Fixit eh, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

I haven't been on the forums for quite a while - no plumbing projects until now! Great site.

I'm installing a frost-free hosebib. I used a threaded adapter with 2 wraps of teflon tape to connect to the hosebib and then soldered the 1/2 inch copper to the adapter.

First try - small drip coming from the threads (about a gallon over 24 hours). Ok, so I was being a bit careful to avoid stripping the threads, so we'll try again using more force and an extra wrap of teflon tape.

2nd try - a tiny drip (about a cup over 24 hours). Hmmnh. So I thought I was being pretty forceful, but we'll try again with another wrap of tape and put as much force as I can before I think threads will strip.

3rd try - a teensy, tiny little drip (about 1 drop every 10 minutes - just enough to keep a cotton cloth damp). Growl, growl, growl:mad:

1. Would it be a reasonable solution to cut the pipe, tighten a bit more, then use a compression union to rejoin the copper line? If my tightening doesn't eliminate the leak, I can re-tighten the threaded adapter without having to start over.

2. Is it possible to strip the threads, or am I just being silly?

Thanks for your help,

Steve
  2. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Did you solder the the stub of 1/2 onto the adaptor before you wrapped the adaptor with the tape?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can't strip the threads on a hosebib.
    Normally what we do, is solder a length of pipe onto a male adapter, let it cool, and then either tape it or dope it. Thread the puppy on tight, and then solder a coupling to the rest of the copper.
    A compression coupling would work too,
  4. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

No, I wrapped the tape, threaded and tightened the threaded adaptor onto the hosebib, then soldered - is that a problem?
  5. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

What about stripping the threads on the threaded adaptor?

I'm guessing from what you've posted, the heat from soldering the threaded coupling to 1/2 stub probably expanded the coupling enough to create a leak....?

If I use a compression coupling, is there any problem using it with the thicker-walled copper pipe (M)? I read somewhere that compression fittings could be a problem on the thicker walled pipe?

Steve
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The tape doesn't like the heat from a torch. Plus, many of the fittings available these days are made overseas and the threads can be absolutely horrible. Your best bet may be to use both some tape and some pipe dope - sort of a belt and suspenders solution.
  7. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

The different copper water tube types (M, L, K) all have the same OD so compression fittings should work the same on all. You need some
    more reliable reading material.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

HEating the joint AFTER assembling it destroys the joint compound, whether it is tape or paste. In addition, since the two parts expand and contract at different rates heating them can loosen the thread. You cannot strip the threads by overtightening them, but you can deform/expand the female portion or crack it.
  9. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

That's why I'm here:D

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
  10. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

Thanks for all the replies, you've been a big help.

Once again - this is a great web resource you have here.

Steve
  11. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Small point: 2 types of fittings love to leak - copper male adapters because the threads are rolled, not cut. and stainless steel because its so hard that it does not "flow" - For these I use permatex teflon dope then wrap with US made teflon tape - real stuff, rated. Not that old air mattress vinyl the indonesions remake and call teflon. Better to use scotch 33 than that.
  12. Mr Fixit eh

Mr Fixit eh DIYer

Success - I wanted to let you know that I've had success, thanks to all your advice.

Thanks again,

Steve
  13. hagakure

hagakure New Member

Heh putting it with teflon/dope before soldering. Just sitting here, remembering the barrage of insults hurled my way in Eastern European "English".