Copper Threaded Adapter Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
I haven't been on the forums for quite a while - no plumbing projects until now! Great site.

I'm installing a frost-free hosebib. I used a threaded adapter with 2 wraps of teflon tape to connect to the hosebib and then soldered the 1/2 inch copper to the adapter.

First try - small drip coming from the threads (about a gallon over 24 hours). Ok, so I was being a bit careful to avoid stripping the threads, so we'll try again using more force and an extra wrap of teflon tape.

2nd try - a tiny drip (about a cup over 24 hours). Hmmnh. So I thought I was being pretty forceful, but we'll try again with another wrap of tape and put as much force as I can before I think threads will strip.

3rd try - a teensy, tiny little drip (about 1 drop every 10 minutes - just enough to keep a cotton cloth damp). Growl, growl, growl:mad:

1. Would it be a reasonable solution to cut the pipe, tighten a bit more, then use a compression union to rejoin the copper line? If my tightening doesn't eliminate the leak, I can re-tighten the threaded adapter without having to start over.

2. Is it possible to strip the threads, or am I just being silly?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Did you solder the the stub of 1/2 onto the adaptor before you wrapped the adaptor with the tape?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't strip the threads on a hosebib.
Normally what we do, is solder a length of pipe onto a male adapter, let it cool, and then either tape it or dope it. Thread the puppy on tight, and then solder a coupling to the rest of the copper.
A compression coupling would work too,

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
You can't strip the threads on a hosebib.
Normally what we do, is solder a length of pipe onto a male adapter, let it cool, and then either tape it or dope it. Thread the puppy on tight, and then solder a coupling to the rest of the copper.
A compression coupling would work too,
What about stripping the threads on the threaded adaptor?

I'm guessing from what you've posted, the heat from soldering the threaded coupling to 1/2 stub probably expanded the coupling enough to create a leak....?

If I use a compression coupling, is there any problem using it with the thicker-walled copper pipe (M)? I read somewhere that compression fittings could be a problem on the thicker walled pipe?

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tape doesn't like the heat from a torch. Plus, many of the fittings available these days are made overseas and the threads can be absolutely horrible. Your best bet may be to use both some tape and some pipe dope - sort of a belt and suspenders solution.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The different copper water tube types (M, L, K) all have the same OD so compression fittings should work the same on all. You need some
more reliable reading material.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HEating the joint AFTER assembling it destroys the joint compound, whether it is tape or paste. In addition, since the two parts expand and contract at different rates heating them can loosen the thread. You cannot strip the threads by overtightening them, but you can deform/expand the female portion or crack it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Small point: 2 types of fittings love to leak - copper male adapters because the threads are rolled, not cut. and stainless steel because its so hard that it does not "flow" - For these I use permatex teflon dope then wrap with US made teflon tape - real stuff, rated. Not that old air mattress vinyl the indonesions remake and call teflon. Better to use scotch 33 than that.

hagakure

Reaction score
Heh putting it with teflon/dope before soldering. Just sitting here, remembering the barrage of insults hurled my way in Eastern European "English".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks