Copper Plumbing, Corroded from Water/Age or Sloppy Soldering and not wiping flux?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Stadashic, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Stadashic

Stadashic New Member

Also would you recommend replacing, leaving as is or cleaning it up in some way? The area is currently open for a remodel.
    Location San Diego
    With hardish water, house built in the 60's.

Sorry a couple of the photos are on their side and one photo (the third one i believe) is upside down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Maybe a plumber from San Diego has an answer.
    I hear that some parts of California are pretty tough on copper. It looks like the fittings were not wiped down very well after soldering.

I see that you have the old shutoffs with the corrugated supply line attached. Those will need to be replaced.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The flux available back then had some acid in it (that used today does not, but that's another story altogether). When you finished a joint, proper technique called for wiping it down to remove any excess flux and solder. That acid can cause some corrosion. Now, how much and whether it is something to worry about is another thing. Whoever did the work was pretty sloppy - a lot of excess solder, which also would have been removed if they wiped the joint (while hot).
  4. Stadashic

Stadashic New Member

Thanks yeah I am having the plumber I work with occasionally come check it out, I thought I might get some more opinions on it in the mean time.
  5. Stadashic

Stadashic New Member

This whole house seems to be just slopped together, every 55 degree corner I turn I see something that was just done half ass.
    But thank you for your input, I did not know the flux used had changed.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What kind of house has "55 degree corners", unless it was maybe designed by FLW? The corrosion at the joints looks like it may be "seepage' from bad soldering jobs. Heating the joint usually vaporizes any "excess flux".