Copper Pipes Touching Each Other

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chefwong, Oct 12, 2011.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Just finished the RO for the hot water Feed. Next is the cold water.
    Both are running parallel to each other horizontally.

Where I go vertical to the drop ear, should I avoid the copper touching each other or is it okay to just lay both vertical and where one touches the other copper....just slip a small piece of pipe insulation between them.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Avoid them touching. In some cases electrolysis can occur and pin hole the pipe there. I would find something more substantial than paper, it will wear through. Perhaps a strip of plastic from a milk jug
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote: In some cases electrolysis can occur and pin hole the pipe there.

How can "electrolysis" occur when both are the same metal? Wear is a more likely cause of failure. Either solder the two lines together so they CANNOT rub against each other or insert a substantial piece of material between them and secure it tightly.
  4. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I ended up using some 45's , 90s and just bumped it in/out

[​IMG]
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

There are special copper fittings available for use in such situations, called "crossover couplings". Very handy in cases where
    it is desirable to keep the pipes in a single plane.