Copper pipe too short to install tub spout!

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by notthathandy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. notthathandy

notthathandy New Member

I have been working for 3 weeks tearing my bathroom out. As I had finally finished the tiling, last night was go time. I cut the copper tubing protruding through my newly tiled wall too short!!!

The reason is the instructions that came with my Delta hardware never told me a length to have. When I inserted the copper pipe in the spout it stopped at about 2 inches. I thought there was a stop there and did not realize that you have to push the rubber gasket (not a stop) over the tip of the pipe. When I install the spout and tighten the set screw a small dribble of water comes out the set screw hole. Not a ton of water leaks but I am sure it will get worse as time goes on.

The spout is a diverter spout that has an internal plastic sleave with a removable gasket and set screw clamp.

I figure there a few possibilities:

1. I could remove the panel on the back of the wall (which hasn't been opened for years and try to cut the pipe free it from the thinset/grout/tile and re-sweat it at the correct length. I would have to seal around the tiles with caulk and do some soldering in very tight quarters.

2. New spout? Are there spouts that 2 inches would be adequate?

3. New spout? Are there spouts that I could sweat a threaded fitting or some type of extension on the end that would work?

4. Is there a type of coupling that is internal to the pipe? Is there any type of bushing that could extend it?

Number 1 makes me sick thinking of it because of the amount of time spent on the tiles.

Thanks for any advice...let me know if your need any more information.

Steve
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The Delta spout with the "pull down" diverter has a "sweat on adapter" which would solve your problem without any change to the tubing.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  3. notthathandy

notthathandy New Member

Sorry if this is obvious, but you call out a "pull down" diverter. All I can find are one that you pull up to turn the shower on. Am I missing something? I noticed several of them do have threaded connectors. Would they work.

Thanks for your response! I feel like there is a way.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The Delta spout is called "adjust to wall" model. It does come in a "pull up diverter" version but the pull down one is more common AND durable. The spout you want has large brass adapter that it screw onto after you solder the adapter to your copper pipe. The adapter DOES have threads in it, but for your purpose you will just bypass them.
  6. notthathandy

notthathandy New Member

Thanks hj and Jim:

Clear as day now. I really appreciate your help.

Steve