Copper pipe too short to install tub spout!

Users who are viewing this thread

notthathandy

Reaction score
I have been working for 3 weeks tearing my bathroom out. As I had finally finished the tiling, last night was go time. I cut the copper tubing protruding through my newly tiled wall too short!!!

The reason is the instructions that came with my Delta hardware never told me a length to have. When I inserted the copper pipe in the spout it stopped at about 2 inches. I thought there was a stop there and did not realize that you have to push the rubber gasket (not a stop) over the tip of the pipe. When I install the spout and tighten the set screw a small dribble of water comes out the set screw hole. Not a ton of water leaks but I am sure it will get worse as time goes on.

The spout is a diverter spout that has an internal plastic sleave with a removable gasket and set screw clamp.

I figure there a few possibilities:

1. I could remove the panel on the back of the wall (which hasn't been opened for years and try to cut the pipe free it from the thinset/grout/tile and re-sweat it at the correct length. I would have to seal around the tiles with caulk and do some soldering in very tight quarters.

2. New spout? Are there spouts that 2 inches would be adequate?

3. New spout? Are there spouts that I could sweat a threaded fitting or some type of extension on the end that would work?

4. Is there a type of coupling that is internal to the pipe? Is there any type of bushing that could extend it?

Number 1 makes me sick thinking of it because of the amount of time spent on the tiles.

Thanks for any advice...let me know if your need any more information.

Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Delta spout with the "pull down" diverter has a "sweat on adapter" which would solve your problem without any change to the tubing.

Attachments

• RP17454-B1.jpg
    RP17454-B1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 39,145
Last edited by a moderator:

notthathandy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is obvious, but you call out a "pull down" diverter. All I can find are one that you pull up to turn the shower on. Am I missing something? I noticed several of them do have threaded connectors. Would they work.

Thanks for your response! I feel like there is a way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Delta spout is called "adjust to wall" model. It does come in a "pull up diverter" version but the pull down one is more common AND durable. The spout you want has large brass adapter that it screw onto after you solder the adapter to your copper pipe. The adapter DOES have threads in it, but for your purpose you will just bypass them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
tub-spout-solder-extension.jpg

Sometimes we solder on more pipe for tub spouts.
It depends on the spout that you have picked up. This picture was from a Delta install that didn't use their regular adapter.

SoCal Chris

Reaction score
tub-spout-solder-extension.jpg

Sometimes we solder on more pipe for tub spouts.
It depends on the spout that you have picked up. This picture was from a Delta install that didn't use their regular adapter.

Hi Terry, this is exactly what I would like to do to fix my stub out.
Can you please let me know how long it should be from the wall?
I want to use an el cheapo Danco 88052 faucet with a nose connector.
But I can't find any info on how long the stub out should be.

This is what I am working with. A little less than an inch.
The pipe is a little damaged, so the replacement slip on leaks out the back.
When I pull the diverter, it shoots out the back like a firehose.
stub-out.jpg

Additionally, you can't really see from this angel, but the bottom of the pipe is bent/depressed in from the previous set screw being screwed in too deep. I got it all sanded down nice and clean now. Going forward, the coupler would only cover the first 1/2 inch of the existing pipe, so the depression would not be an issue. Especially with some ample solder to fill the gap.

Heeelllllp!

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this post, its just the first relevant thing I could come across after days of searching. A bazillion "how-to" vids and posts for changing a spout, but nothing for changing/extending a stub out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks