Copper pipe through concrete foundation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tedf, Feb 8, 2011.

1. tedf

tedf New Member

It is my understanding that a copper water supply line coming through a concrete foundation should not be in contact with the concrete. But what sort of sleeve or buffer should be used? I’ve seen black plumbing tape, closed-cell pipe insulation and spray foam sealant recommended. Is one of these the best choice - or something else?
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

You need something rigid enough to stand up to the wet concrete. Your best/easiest bet is to wrap your risers in foam...they sell foam insulation tubes which would work well for this, or you could just cut pvc risers and shove them deep into the dirt to make your seal.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Are you talking about the "foundation" or the "floor slab". They are two different situations and require different solutions, since a pipe through the foundation usually has to have provision to be sealed water tight.
  4. PlumbPowerHouse

PlumbPowerHouse Plumber

If going through the foundation, we have used pvc pipe to sleeve it. If coming through a slab, we have used foam and roof felt.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Through the slab, we either use Armorflex insulation or the vinyl sleeving.